“I thought that it was too close,” said Roach, during the press conference following Pacquiao’s fight against Tim Bradley. “Even though they gave it to us, I was really surprised that they had given it to us so closely. I had us winning by about 10 rounds to two.”
Roach’s concerns were validated, as the next two judges’ cards went by the same score for Bradley (29-0, 12 knockouts), who wound up taking Pacquiao’s WBO title by controversial split-decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night.
Bradley was awarded the victory on the cards of judges C.J. Ross and Duane Ford, while Jerry Roth had it for Pacquiao. An informal poll of 51 writers by Ryan Maquinana favored Pacquiao over Bradley, 48-3.
“I didn’t listen to the announcement, because I thought that I won the fight on all of the judges’ cards,” said Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs) , whose 15-bout wining streak came to an end. “I thought that I won the fight, so I wasn’t concerned.”
Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who promotes both Pacquiao and Bradley, has requested that Nevada attorney general Catherine Cortez Masto investigate the results of the bout. In addition, Nevada State Athletic Commission director, Keith Kizer, told RingTV.com that he will review the video with the three judges.
Pacquaio out-landed Bradley in 10 of the 12 rounds, with the overall count in his favor 253-to-159. He also scored with more total jabs (63-51) and power punches (190-108). Bradley out-landed Pacquiao in only the ninth round, while the 10th was even in punches connected with each landing 14.
Roach will try to return to his winning ways on Saturday night, when he works the corner of WBC middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 31 KOs) in defense of his crown opposite Andy Lee on Saturday night in El Paso, Texas. Chavez is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Marco Antonio Rubio in February.
MIKE JONES FOCUSED ON FIGHTING BACK.
LAS VEGAS — Philadelphia’s Mike Jones sat with his girlfriend in a food court of the MGM Grand on Saturday night, where, two hours earlier, the 29-year-old welterweight contender had suffered his first career loss by 11th-round knockout against 37-year-old Randall Bailey.
Known for his powerful, lights-out right hand, Bailey (43-7, 37 KOs) landed two of those punches — dropping Jones once in the 10th and again in the 11th of a clash Jones had been dominating up to that point on the Bradley-Pacquiao undercard.
“I thought that I was doing a pretty good job of out-boxing the guy, and I made a terrible mistake by jumping in with a single jab, and he countered me and caught me with a shot that I didn’t see,” said Jones (26-1, 19 KOs), who led by 99-91, 98-92, and, 97-93 on the judges’ cards prior to being dropped for good with 10 seconds left in the final round.
“The first knockdown was kind of a flash knockdown, but the second one was the one that hurt me. I didn’t even see the punch, but it was an uppercut. That’s the one that hurts you, when you don’t see it. It was something that I worked on not doing, jumping in, and for some reason, I went in with that single-jab.”
Until that point, Jones had been successfully maneuvering in and out of harm’s way, but the one mistake, said Jones, is what spelled his doom.
“I had my hands up pretty good, so his shots were being partially blocked by my gloves until then,” said Jones. “But the ones that he caught me with, and the ones that he hurt me with, those were clean shots.”
In victory, Bailey earned the IBF’s vacant belt. He won his first title via a first-round knockout of Carlos Gonzalez to win the WBO’s junior welterweight crown in May of 1999. His record at the time was 18-0, all by stoppage.
The win over Gonzalez marked Bailey’s 13th first-round knockout, after which he defended twice to improve to 20-0, all by knockout, before losing the title to Ener Julio by split-decision in July of 2000.
Bailey went to 24-1 with 24 knockouts after earning the WBA’s interim title with a third-round knockout of Demetrios Ceballos in February of 2002, but was stopped for the first time in his next bout by Diosbelys Hurtado..
“He’s got that one-punch knockout power, but that’s all he’s got,” said Jones. “I said it before the fight. I said that the only chance that he’s got of winning the fight is to knock me out. But that’s what he did.”
Jones had recently overome rugged Argentine slugger Sebastian Lujan by unanimous decision last month, ending Lujan’s 12-fight winning streak that had included six knockouts.
By defeating Lujan, the 28-year-old contender earned the No. 1 spot in the IBF’s ratings and a berth against IBF No. 2-rated Bailey for the belt that was vacated by Andre Berto.
Jones had been a potential rival for the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley, according to Arum.
“It was a tough loss. A really tough loss, man. I was that close, but there was a mental lapse on my part. My coach was telling me, ‘don’t lose the jab, don’t lose the jab,’ but I ended up squaring up to him that one time and he caught me with the uppercut,” said Jones.
“The easiest thing to do is to put my head down and to sulk, but I will never do that in my life. I would want an immediate rematch if that’s possible, because I know exactly what I did wrong. I was winning the fight, hands down, and he caught me with a blind punch. That’s all that he did. It came down to two mistakes, but I want to come back immediately. I want to get right back at it. So you ain’t seen the last of Mike Jones.”
JORGE ARCE SAYS ‘SHOW ME THE MONEY’
LAS VEGAS — In the wake of Saturday night’s bizarre, second-round no-decision ending to his clash with featherweight rival Jesus Rojas, four-division titlewinner Jorge Arce (60-6-2, 46 KOs) summoned the nerve to say he still wants the biggest fights available.
“I want all of the big fights. I want to fight Nonito Donaire, Nishioka or Mares or someone like that,” said Arce. “All I’ve got to say is, show me the money.”
After flooring Rosas (18-1-1, 13 KOs) with a first-round left hook, Arce complained that he could not continue after being dropped himself following a low blow, an accidental headbutt, a shot to the kidney and another that caused damage to his ear.
Referee Kenny Bayless had no choice but to declare a no-decision as Arce complained that he could no longer hear properly from his left ear.
“When I turned, the guy punched me in the back of the head,” said Arce, who combined with Rosas to throw 170 punches in an exciting first round.
“It was very hard, I had prepared myself for three months for this fight. I was winning the fight, and I was starting to dominate, and I was ready to knock him out. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go any further.”
Rojas out-landed Arce 39-36 in total punches, 39-30 in power punches and trailed, 19-7, in jabs landed. Arce-Rosas took place on the Bradley-Pacquiao undercard.
SHANE MOSLEY: ‘I THOUGHT MANNY PACQUIAO WON THE FIGHT PRETTY CONVINCINGLY’
Although Mosley was among one of only two of the RingTV.com experts who chose Bradley to defeat Pacquiao, to whom he lost a unanimous decision in May of last year, Mosley said he believed Pacquiao won the fight “convincingly.”
“Watching it in person, I thought Manny Pacquiao won the fight pretty convincingly. Bradley was trying to do certain things, but I thought that Pacquiao had the edge,” said Mosley, who was last in the ring for a unanimous decision loss to WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in May.
“Taking nothing away from Bradley, because I thought that he fought as hard as he could, but my thoughts are that sometimes the lights and the big events can factor in. I think that it was a combination of things.”
Like Roach, Mosley said he thought that Bradley’s musculature affected his ability to deliver effective blows.
“It looked like Bradley’s lifting weights took away from his power, actually. Instead of increasing his power, it seemed like he lost power. He didn’t have that same snap. It didn’t seem like Pacquiao was feeling his shots, and he seemed surprised by how good Pacquiao was and how strong his punches were,” said Mosley.
“I think that there were times when the crowd was screaming for Pacquiao as if he landed something when he didn’t land anything. That’s another thing that I was trying to take into consideration. But Pacquiao’s punching power seemed to give Bradley problems. I didn’t actually sit there and score the fight, but I would say Pacquiao won eight rounds to four.”
Mosley said that he felt that Bradley was most effective when he was maneuvering around the ring.
“I thought that Bradley seemed to be breathing hard in the fourth and fifth rounds, which means he may have overtrained,” said Mosley.
“But Pacquiao seems to have problems cutting off the ring. Bradley did some good things, but I think that it will be a much better fight if they fight again.”
Photos/Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com