Former light heavyweight titleholder Antonio Tarver has been officially informed of his right to appeal the year-long suspension imposed by the California State Athletic Commission as a result of his positive test for the banned anabolic steroid drostanolone, CSAC executive director George Dodd informed RingTV.com on Monday.
“I’ve heard from him, but he hasn’t indicated what his plans are at this point,” said Dodd. “We’re just waiting for him to make a determination on what he would like to do at this point.”
A regular Showtime commentator, Tarver came up dirty following a post-fight drug test administered by the CSAC after his draw with Lateef Kayode on June 2 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Tarver was suspended for a year and fined $2,500 of the $1.1 million purse he earned for facing Kayode. In addition, Tarver-Kayode will be “reflected as a no-decision,” said Dodd.
Dodd identified the banned substance as drostanolone, adding that Tarver’s “A sample came back positive.”
“I gave him basically his rights to appeal and the right as we talked about earlier to witness the opening of the ‘B’ sample,” said Dodd.
“Mr. Tarver has within the next week or so to inform this office whether or not he would like to view and watch the opening of the ‘B’ sample to be analyzed. Mr. Tarver also has the ability to appeal the suspension as well.”
If Tarver’s B sample returns negative, the commission will “then make a determination” concerning whether or not his penalty stands pending an appeal by the fighter, Dodd said.
“There could be a couple of things based on what people have done in the past. They have appealed that the tests are flawed. They have appealed for a shorter sentence. They’ve appealed for a lesser fine. So those are the three most common types of appeals that we hear at the commission,” said Dodd.
“So those are, what I would guess, are the grounds under which he would appeal — that the tests are flawed or for a shorter sentence or a lesser fine. But Mr. Tarver would have to make that determination on what he files as his appeal and what he is appealing.”
Although Tarver could not immediately be reached through an e-mail to his publicist, he indicated on his Twitter account last week that he planned to appeal the CSAC’s decision.
“Today’s news of a false positive caught me as well as my family and supporters by surprise, I apologize for the embarrassment it caused,” wrote Tarver. “I’ll appeal and submit to the California Commission everything that I’ve consume prior to June 2 that could of caused this honest mistake.”
A boxing broadcaster, Tarver did not work his customary role for this past Saturday night’s Showtime-televised main event during which Josesito Lopez upset ex-welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz by ninth-round knockout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
“Out of respect for the fighters competing on Saturday night, Antonio and the network have mutually agreed that he will not serve as color analyst for the June 23rd boxing telecast,” wrote Showtime Sports publicist Chris DeBlasio in a statement e-mailed to RingTV.com on Friday.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com