Lem Satterfield

Salido-Garcia eyed for the fall

Mexican titleholder Orlando Salido will face Oscar Bravo, of Chile, in a 10-round junior lightweight bout on July 28 in Obregon, Mex., and featherweight contender Miguel “Mikey” Garcia is expected to appear on the undercard against an opponent to be determined, according to Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.

Salido (38-11-2, 26 knockouts), who holds the WBO’s featherweight title, is rising in weight following the second of two stoppage wins over Juan Manuel Lopez (31-2, 28 KOs), the first of which earned him the belt.

The Salido-Bravo fight is being promoted by Zanfer Promotions.

According to Sean Gibbons of Zanfer Promotions, Salido had his sights on fighters such as WBO junior lightweight titleholder Adrien Broner or the winner of a previously targeted clash between Garcia an WBA beltholder Celestino Caballero before the Caballero-Garcia bout failed to come to fruition.

So Arum said he is looking to match Salido against Garcia (28-0, 24 KOs) in the fall if Salido gets beyond Bravo (20-3, 9 KOs).

Arum said he the goal would be to place Salido-Garcia on the undercard of a Nov. 10 main event featuring Manny Pacquiao, who is reportedly considering rematches for that date opposite current WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley, four-division and WBA and WBO junior welterweight titlewinner Juan Manuel Marquez or three-division beltwinner Miguel Cotto.

“Garcia and Salido will be fighting in Mexico on the same card in July,” said Arum. “And then in October or November, they will fight each other on HBO or on the Pacquiao card. We’ll do the fight either on HBO or one of the pay per view shows.”

Garcia’s manager, Cameron Dunkin, could not immediately be reached for comment. 

“I heard from my manager last week that since the Caballero fight is not happening, that he was going to try to find me another date to stay active and to stay busy and the show that he would look into would be the July 28 card in Mexico with Salido headlining the show,” said Garcia.

“But I haven’t signed any contract or anything like that. We need to fight. We need to stay busy. I don’t want to stay inactive too long. So, of course, I would like to fight on that card, and then, maybe get Salido after that. That would be even better than getting Caballero.”

A winner of three of his last five bouts, including two straight, Bravo is coming off a second round knockout of Nestor Lagos in September.

Around the web