WBO junior lightweight beltholder Adrien Broner said that he will move up to lightweight following Saturday night’s HBO-televised defense against Vicente Escobedo that will take place at U.S. Bank Arena in Broner’s hometown of Cincinnati.
“This will be my last fight at 130 pounds, and I’m going out with a bang, for sure,” said Broner, who will be after his fourth straight stoppage victory against Escobedo.
“They didn’t just give me the title, I had to win it, and I’m going to go out there and show why I’ve kept it. I’m going to leave out of here with the belt. So, like I said, this is the last fight at 130 pounds, and I’m going to to out and give a good performance.”
Broner (23-0, 19 knockouts) turns 23 on July 28, and may be the youngest American titleholder.
“I’m young, I’m 22 and I’m still growing,” said Broner. “But, you know what? I just feel like it’s time for me to go up.”
Since winning a unanimous decision over ex-beltholder Daniel Ponce de Leon in March of last year, Broner has scored knockouts over Jason Litzau in June of last year, Martin Rodriguez in November and Eloy Perez in February.
“After this fight, there really wouldn’t be a reason for me to stay in the weight class,” said Broner. “So I’m just going to go up a weight class and give the lightweights hell.”
In the meantime, Broner said he is focused on Escobedo (26-3, 15 KOs), who has won four consecutive fights.
“This is boxing, so you have to take it one fight at a time. One fight at a time. So Vicente is on my mind right now, and it really don’t matter after that,” said Broner.
“Anybody can get it. The statement wasn’t just for publicity. Anybody can get it — Africans, Americans, Domincans, Mexicans. Anybody can get it, it really don’t matter.”
Photo by Pat Lovell, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org