Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said that a clash between former WBO junior lightweight beltholder Adrien Broner and WBC lightweight beltholder Antonio DeMarco could be televised on HBO and land in Atlantic City at Boardwalk Hall on Nov. 17.
Last week in Las Vegas, DeMarco’s promoter, Gary Shaw, told RingTV.com that he had, indeed, spoken to HBO officials concerning a matchup between Broner and DeMarco (28-2-1, 21 knockouts), who is coming off a 44-second knockout of John Molina on Sept. 8.
“It’s Richard’s date,” said Shaw, on Monday. “From my side, DeMarco is willing to fight Broner. If the deal is right, he will get into the ring.”
DeMarco, 26, scored his fifth straight win and his fourth by stoppage during that run opposite Molina, having last suffered defeat by ninth-round stoppage to the late Edwin Valero in February of 2010.
Molina, of Covina, Calif., entered the fight with a mark of 24-1 that included 19 KOs and had won six straight fights, five of them by knockout.
A talented 23-year-old out of Cincinnati, Broner (24-0, 20 KOs) called out DeMarco, of Tijuana, Mexico, following July’s HBO-televised knockout of Vicente Escobedo at the U.S. Bank Arena in Broner’s hometown.
Broner, who has never officially fought as a lightweight, lost his WBO belt at the scales before entering the ring against Escobedo, having missed the contracted weight of 130 pounds both the day prior to the fight and during a Saturday morning re-weigh.
If Broner indeed faces DeMarco, Schaefer said that the other fight on the targeted double-header would match heavyweight prospect Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 KOs), of Gwynn Park, Md., against Johnathon Banks (28-1-1, 18 KOs), of Detroit, Mich, with whom Mitchell had been forced out of a scheduled July 14 bout as a result of having strained his right hand.
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org