Ryan Songalia

IBF receives Sanchez-Mayol contract on day before fight

It took until both fighters were at the scale, but the IBF says they have received both contracts for the junior bantamweight title match between beltholder Juan Carlos Sanchez Jr. and challenger Rodel Mayol for Saturday night’s fight at the Gimnasio Polifuncional in Los Mochis, Mexico.

“That fight is all set,” IBF championships chairman Lindsey Tucker told THE RING. “They (the promoter) got us the contracts at the weigh-in today, both fighters signed it, we approved the fight and it looks like it’s going to happen tomorrow.”

Sanchez (14-1-1, 7 knockouts), of Los Mochis, Mexico, weighed in at the division limit of 115 while the former WBC junior flyweight titleholder Mayol (31-5-2, 22 KOs) checked in a pound lighter at 114 pounds. The card will be headlined by hometown favorite Jorge Arce (60-6-2, 46 KOs) facing Mauricio Martinez (36-12-1, 24 KOs) in a non-title affair. Arce weighed in at 126 while Martinez weighed 125.5.

There was some concern that the fight would not be sanctioned as a title fight by the IBF as they hadn’t received the contracts for both fighters by yesterday afternoon. Speaking with THE RING yesterday, Tucker said that the fight would not be recognized as a title defense should the contracts not be turned in prior to the fight.

Mayol’s situation was made public earlier this week by Winchell Campos, who works within the Manny Pacquiao-owned MP Promotions, which handles Mayol. In a story he wrote that was published by PhilBoxing.com, Campos made claims that MP Promotions head representative Michael Koncz had withheld fight details such as purse from Mayol and other MP Promotions fighters in the past.

Campos says that Mayol was placed in a similar position in March when his fight against WBA flyweight titleholder Hernan “Tyson” Marquez was canceled after disputes arose as to whether Marquez had made the 112-pound limit. Koncz initially pulled Mayol out of the fight, but both sides attempted to salvage the fight with eleventh-hour negotiations. In the end, Marquez wound up fighting another MP Promotions fighter, Richie Mepranum, in a non-title bout, defeating Mepranum by unanimous decision.

“Mayol only received the contract at the weigh-in and yes, he was never paid a cent, even with Marquez not making weight,” alleges Campos in a message to THE RING. “His (Koncz) practice is the antiquated way of dealing: find a boxer, ask him if he is ready, wants to fight, then give him a ‘standard’ pay. In Mayol’s case, as in many other cases before him, he would only throw in a basic ‘figure,’ say $20,000. But then, there are many other components and items where promoters and managers can get revenues like TV, et cetera.”

Emails requesting comment from Koncz and the event’s organizer, Zanfer Promotions, were not returned.

Mayol, 31, of Mandaue City, Philippines is coming off his most complete performance to date, a one-sided drubbing of former flyweight titleholder Julio Cesar Miranda this past May in the Philippines. The 21-year-old Sanchez is making the second defense of the belt he won in February from Rodrigo Guerrero.

 

Ryan Songalia is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) and contributes to GMA News. He is also a member of The Ring ratings panel and can be reached at ryan@ryansongalia.com. An archive of his work can be found at www.ryansongalia.com. Follow him on Twitter: @RyanSongalia.

You can vote for Songalia in the Outstanding Filipino Americans of NY Awards media/publishing category via Facebook: http://bit.ly/VOTE4RYAN

 

Around the web