Originally filed in December of 2009 seeking compensatory and punitive damages, the suit names, in part, Mayweather, his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., and the fighter’s uncle, Roger Mayweather, and alleges that Mayweather continued to imply publicly that Pacquiao’s success over eight weight classes is the result of having used performance-enhancing drugs.
Earlier this week, Mayweather was ordered to pay $114,000 for failing to appear in the Pacquiao case.
Negotiations between Mayweather and Pacquiao have also failed over the notion of drug testing, which has been contractually mandated by Mayweather for his past three victories over Victor Ortiz, Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto.
But will the settlement pave the way for the highly-coveted Mayweather-Pacquiao clash?
Pacquiao’s advisor, Michael Koncz, responded after several attempts by RingTV.com.
“I can confirm that the defamation case against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and parties has been settled. Manny is happy to put this matter behind us and to move forward,” said Koncz.
“However, I am not obliged to make any further comments as there is a strict, confidentiality agreement with the court. Therefore, any further questions in this matter need to be directed to our lawyers, David Marroso and Dan Petrocelli.”
Neither of Pacquiao lawyers, Marroso nor Petrocelli, of the Los Angeles-based O’Melveny and Myers law firm, could be reached for an immediate comment.
Athough he was not directly involved in the case, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, called the settlement “totally irrelevant to any boxing issue.”
Malcolm LaVergne, a lawyer representing Floyd Mayweather Sr., told The Associated Press that various parties to the case have signed documents to be filed under seal asking U.S. District Judge Larry R. Hicks to dismiss the case, while others involved were preparing a public statement.
“The matter has been resolved,” said LaVergne, who declined to disclose the terms of the deal. “Any alleged terms of the resolution would be strictly confidential. Floyd Mayweather Sr. is very happy that this lengthy case has finally come to a conclusion.”
Pacquiao is set to face four-division title-winner Juan Manuel Marquez a fourth time on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, having won a disputed majority decision in November. Pacquiao has also battled to a draw and won by split-decision over Marquez.
Pacquiao has chosen to face Marquez over a return bout with Tim Bradley, whose controversial split decision in June dethroned Pacquiao as the WBO’s welterweight titleholder and ended his 15-bout winning streak that included eight stoppages.
On Thursday, Pacquiao said he is willing to take the lower half of a 45-55 split to make a bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. should he get beyond Marquez.
What happens next, however, is unclear.
“They’ve arrived at a settlement, apparently, and that’s good. It’s better than to have both parties keep running up legal fees,” said Arum.
“I think that they were each represented by very [good] attorneys, and they realized what the situation was, and what the exposure was, and they settled the case. It happens all the time. It’s totally irrelevant to any boxing issue.”
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com