Mexican-born junior middleweight contender Alfredo Angulo, of Coachella, Calif., will return to the ring against twice-beaten Raul Casarez, of Edinburg, Texas, on Nov. 10 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Angulo’s manager and counsel, Michael Miller, informed RingTV.com on Wednesday.
Angulo-Cazarez will appear on the undercard of a Showtime-televised main event featuring a defense by WBC junior featherweight beltholder Abner Mares (24-0-1, 13 knockouts) against rising WBA bantamweight titleholder Anselmo Moreno (33-1, 12 KOs) on Showtime.
“We’ve got the press conference on Tuesday in Los Angeles to announce his next fight on the Abner Mares card,” said Miller. “He’s really looking forward to it.”
Miller said Angulo “overstayed his U.S. visa” and had been held at the facility located just under 14 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.
Angulo, 30, was last in the ring in November, when he lost by an exciting, sixth-round knockout to James Kirkland. Angulo was stopped for the first time in his career, ending his streak of five straight knockout victories since losing by unanimous decision to Kermit Cintron in May of 2009.
Although Angulo was under the guidance of legendary trainer Nacho Beristain against Kirkland, Miller said that he will be trained by Virgil Hunter for Cazarez (19-2, 9 KOs), a 25-year-old winner of his past 10 fights with five stoppages during that run.
“He’s going to be training with Virgil Hunter for this fight, and so he’s training and he’s ready to go. Virgil got there, I think, on Monday, with two sparring partners. Things are looking up for Alfredo.”
A 26-year-old Mexican-born fighter from Montebello, Calif., Mares will be trying to end a 27-bout winning streak that includes 10 knockouts for Moreno, who turned 27 in June.
Mares is coming off a unanimous decision over Eric Morel for the vacant title in April in Mares’ 122-pound debut. On the Mares-Morel undercard, Moreno scored a ninth-round knockout of David De La Mora.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com