Lem Satterfield

Cano may return to 140 after loss to Malignaggi at 147

alt

BROOKLYN — The next fight for Mexico City’s Pablo Cesar Cano could be a return to the junior welterweight ranks following Saturday night’s Showtime-televised split-decision loss to WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi at Barclays Center, according to the fighter’s manager, Rolando Arellano.

Cano (25-2-1, 19 knockouts) was to make his 147-pound debut opposite Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KOs), but failed to qualify for the division’s limit after three attempts to make weight on Friday after having fought as a lightweight and junior welterweight in the past.

Cano, 23, weighed 147.8 on his final try after having been granted approximately two hours from his initial mark of 148.4, and weighed 155 pounds at Saturday’s 9:30 a.m. re-weigh, where he required to be no more than 157 pounds.

“One of the options that we’re going to consider is coming back down to 140. I know that a lot of people say, ‘well s–t, he didn’t make 147, so how is he going to make 140?’” said Arrellano.

“But you can look at his body and see that there is a lot of room for weight loss and stuff like that. We would have to measure him. I want to measure him and I want to talk to his father and stuff like that and see how we’re doing.”

Malignaggi, who was 146.2 pounds, received $50,000 of Cano’s $150,000 purse added to his own of $35,000 as a result of a deal worked out between the two camps. Cano, who was not fined by the New York State Athletic Commission, was not eligible to win Malignaggi’s belt.

Malignaggi won the fight, 114-113 on the cards of judges Nelson Vasquez and Tom Muller, but lost, 118-109, on that of Glenn Feldman.

Cano out-landed Malignaggi, 262-to-217, in overall punches, and, 165-to-57 in power blows. Cano also scored an 11th-round knockdown against Malignaggi, who had the advantage in landed jabs, 160-to-97.

“I’ve got a world champion on my hands. I am of the opinion that we won the fight. Toward the later rounds, the fifth, sixth rounds, we were putting the pressure on,” said Arrellano of Cano, whose facial features suffered severe punishment.

“Considering the circumstances that he had his eyelid half open, and this kid didn’t give up, and his corner did an excellent job of maintaining it, it was a great effort.  I think we won the fight.”

alt

Cano had won three straight fights, two of them by knockout, since being stopped by Erik Morales in the 10th round of his junior welterweight debut in September. In July, Cano earned the WBA’s interim 140-pound belt with a seventh-round majority decision over previously unbeaten Johan Perez.

In July, Cano earned the WBA’s interim 140-pound belt with a seventh-round majority decision over previously unbeaten Johan Perez.

Photo by Naoki Fukuda

Photo by Al Bello, Getty Images

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

 

Around the web