Welterweight Javier Molina, of Norwalk, Calif., and his twin brother, 2012 Olympian Oscar Molina, will fight on the same card against opponents to be determined in Juarez, Mex., on Nov. 24, promoter Dan Goossen informed RingTV.com on Monday.
While Javier (11-1, 5 knockouts) will be after his third straight victory since falling by unanimous decision to Artemio Reyes in October of last year, Goossen said that Oscar will be making his professional debut, also as a 147-pounder.
The 22-year-olds are the younger brothers of Carlos Molina (18-0-1, 7 KOs), 26, who will face former IBF and WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KOs) in a Showtime-televised clash on Dec. 15 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.
“What really is exciting is to be able to promote both brothers — twins, no less — where I think that they both have tremendous talent, and that they’re both going to be good,” said Goossen at a standing-room-only press conference in Mexico City promoting the siblings.
“They certainly have the family pedigree to go out there and bring a lot of excitement to their fights, and their fights will be televised on Televisa. Oscar has a big following in Mexico, and I know that the fans are going to gravitate to him out here in the United States. Add his brother to the equation, his twin brother, and that really adds something unique. There has never been twin brothers that have held titles. We’re down the road on that, but I believe that they’ve got that type of talent to get there.”
RICARDO WILLIAMS, LUIS RAMOS JR. RETURN ON DEC. 8
Goossen also said that welterweight Ricardo Williams (20-3, 10 KOs), of Cincinnati, will take on Luis Ramos Jr. (23-0, 10 KOs), of Santa Ana, Calif., on Dec. 8 at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, Calif., on a card that will be televised on Fox Deportes and promoted by Golden Boy Promotions.
Dallas is pursuing his third straight victory since suffering consecutive defeats by seventh-round stoppage against Josesito Lopez in January of last year and by majority decision to Mauricio Herrera in June of last year.
Williams is coming off a unanimous decision over Anthony Lenk, whose winning streak of nine straight fights, including four knockouts, was ended.
“This will put them both in position to have a very meaningful fight with victories, especially with the good win that Ricardo had back on Sept. 8. He looked like the Ricardo of old,” said Goossen.
“Now, if he can pull off that type of performance on Dec. 8, then it’s going to do wonders for his career. Right now, both of them are in very competitive, tough fights, so let’s get the victories first.”
CHRIS ARREOLA-BERMANE STIVIRNE EYED FOR DEC. 15.
Goossen also said that 6-foot-4 heavyweight contender Chris Arreola (35-2, 30 KOs), of Riverside, Calif., “has signed his bout agreement a few weeks ago” to face Haitian-born Bermane Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 KOs), of Las Vegas, in a WBC eliminator clash on Dec. 15.
“With Don’s winning purse bid, it’s scheduled for Dec. 15 in Venezuela,” said Goossen. “So we’re still awaiting the word on the other particulars, such as the arena, and the other factors that go into promoting a fight.”
The winner of Arreola-Stiverne could be in line to challenge 41-year-old WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko (45-2, 41 KOs), who scored his 13th straight win and his 10th stoppage victory during that run against Manuel Charr (21-1, 11 KOs) in September.
Arreola, 31, will be after his eighth straight win, his sixth knockout during that span and his third consecutive stoppage victory against Stiverne. Arreola has not been in the ring since February, when he came up with a first-round knockout over Eric Molina.
Arreola suffered his two losses against Klitschko by 10th-round knockout in September 2009, and by majority decision to Tomasz Adamek in April of 2010.
Stiverne, who turned 34 on Nov. 1, is 10-0-1, with eight knockouts in his past 11 fights, including five first-round stoppages. Stiverne’s lone defeat was by fourth-round knockout against Demetrice King in July of 2007.
BRANDON GONZALES RETURNS ON JAN. 11
Goossen’s matchmaker, Tom Brown, reports that middleweight Brandon Gonzales (16-0, 10 KOs), of Sacramento, will be back in action on Jan. 11, in an ESPN-televised fight, with the opponent and site to be determined.
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com