Harry Pratt

Burns more concerned with next fight than Broner

alt

WBO lightweight holder Ricky Burns is playing what he calls ‘the waiting game’ – for a new opponent on Dec. 15 and then, all being well with that third defense, a possible unification scrap against new WBC holder Adrien Broner.

Not that the cagey Scot was giving too much away on the latter of those issues when asked whether he would like a showdown with undefeated Broner following the American’s devastating eighth-round KO of Antonio DeMarco on Nov. 17.

Like most who witnessed ‘The Problem’ become such a big one for well-respected DeMarco, Burns was both surprised that it was over so soon and full of admiration for the victor’s faultless display.

“I watched it and it was very impressive,” said the 29-year-old from Glasgow. “That was one of the best lightweights out there that he fought and he made it look easy. I thought DeMarco would set a higher work rate, working more on the inside. He couldn’t get the first punch off. But it was a great fight and a great performance.

“I’ve always said I’m prepared to fight anybody and, obviously, there is talk about me and him (Broner) — and it would be a great fight if it happens. But I would treat it exactly the same as any other fight. First we have to get December out the way and then take it from there.

“I just leave it up to my management and promotions team. They’ve always got me the fights at the right time. After his fight, Broner said he would like a unification fight and there’s a chance he might come over here. So, again, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.”

At this moment, Burns (35-2, 10 knockouts), rather than contemplating how he might be able to counter the skills of 23-year-old Broner (25-0, 21 KOs), is more concerned with finding a replacement for Liam Walsh after the Norfolk boxer withdrew from their scheduled bout at London’s ExCel Arena next month because of injuries sustained in a car crash last week.

“No names have been mentioned to me yet. I’m just playing the waiting game,” said THE RING’s No. 4-ranked lightweight. “Obviously, it’s bad news for Liam. The main thing is that I hope he’s okay.”

 

 

Around the web