An ongoing online auction, which began on Nov. 14 and ends on Friday, is offering up valuable boxing memorabilia and sentimental items from The Angelo Dundee Estate Collection in honor of the late Hall of Fame trainer.
Proceeds from the auction, which can be accessed at www.scpauctions.com or by calling 949-831-3700, will benefit Dundee’s daughter, Terri Coughlin, 54, who has multiple sclerosis, as well as the Muhammad Ali Foundation, according Jim Dundee, Angelo’s son.
Angelo Dundee spent his 90th and final birthday in August of last year near his home in Palm Habor, Fla., where he dined with, among others, his grandson Ryan and Jim.
“When Dad passed away, which was February 1 of this year, we had had some conversations because he was kind of worried about what was going on with his heatlh,” said Jim, 58. “He was wanting to make sure that we took care of my sister, Terri. He was concerned because he didn’t know how she was going to take care of her finances.”
“The other thing that I wanted to do was to take care of the Muhammad Ali Center, because the Ali’s have been so nice to us through the years. So we’re trying to help out with both.”
“The big prizes are the Cassius Clay-Sonny Liston gloves from 1964, and the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier gloves from the first fight in ’71. We have four other sets of Ali Gloves, and one set of the ‘No Mas’ gloves from Ray Leonard.The catalog is really beautiful. It’s stunning. It’s old photos of Dad and Muhammad and it has stories about how they got together,” said Jim.
“It’s what I wanted (to do) to have my father remembered. I gave one of Dad’s corner jackets to the Hall of Fame already. Hopefully, I want to help the Smithsonian out as well. It’s kind of bittersweet having this stuff go away after having it for 50 years. But it’s time. Some of this stuff has not been seen, and it’s nice to have it being shown.”
Other significant artifacts from The Angelo Dundee Estate Collection of Boxing Memorabilia include the following:
• Muhammad Ali’s fight-worn gloves from 1966 bout vs. George Chuvalo
• Muhammad Ali’s fight-worn gloves from 1970 bout vs. Oscar Bonavena
• Muhammad Ali’s fight-worn gloves from 1972 bout vs. Floyd Patterson
• Muhammad Ali’s c.1964 5th Street Gym training-worn robe
• Muhammad Ali’s Everlast white satin fight-worn robe
• Angelo Dundee’s 1958 boxing trainer’s license
• Muhammad Ali’s 1963 boxing license
• Muhammad Ali’s mouthpiece molds and fight-worn mouthpiece from last fight vs. Trevor Berbick
• Sugar Ray Leonard’s fight-worn gloves from 1980 Leonard vs. Roberto Durán II (No Más) bout
Photo by Fightwireimages.com
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com