LAS VEGAS — The clash between RING, WBA and WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward and former undisputed middleweight titleholder Kelly Pavlik could be rescheduled from Jan. 26 to Feb. 23 or “one of the first two weeks in March” as a result of a shoulder injury suffered by Ward, the undefeated fighter’s promoter, Dan Goossen, said on Friday.
“I am having discussions with HBO, and Feb. 23 and the first two weeks in March are dates we’re looking at,” said Goossen, the event’s lead promoter, handling both Ward and Arreola on a show that was set to take place at USC’s Galen Center in Los Angeles.
Ward (26-0, 14 knockouts) is coming off an HBO-televised 10th-round knockout of RING and WBC light heavyweight champ Chad Dawson in September. Prior to that title defense, he dethroned Carl Froch as WBC 168-pound beltholder by unanimous decision in the finals of Showtime’s Super Six Super Middleweight Classic last December.
A 2004 Olympic gold medalist, Ward became the first man to stop Dawson, whom he floored during the third, fourth and 10th rounds. Ward fought through a broken left hand to defeat Froch and was later named Fighter of The Year for 2011 and the recipient of the Sugar Ray Robinson Trophy from the Boxing Writers’ Association of America.
Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs) is coming off his fourth straight victory with a unanimous decision over Will Rosinsky in July. Pavlik burst onto the scene with a seventh-round knockout of then-undisputed and previously undefeated middleweight titleholder Jermain Taylor in September of 2007.
Pavlik was later dethroned as WBC and WBO 160-pound titleholder via unanimous decision by Sergio Martinez in April of 2010, and has since fought at or above 168 pounds.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org