Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Mosley wants Malignaggi; Hopkins-Cloud?

alt

Three-division titleholder Shane Mosley acknowledged that talks have been ongoing for the 41-year-old’s potential return to the ring against WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi at Barclays’ Center in Brooklyn on April 27.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer first informed RingTV.com of the possibility for Mosley, would be back in action for the first time since losing by unanimous decision to unbeaten WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in May, and back in the 147-pound division for the first time since falling the same way to Manny Pacquiao in May of last year.

“That would be great. I’m happy that I’m being talked about to come back and to fight for Paulie Malignaggi’s belt. I’ve been keeping myself in great shape, and I’ve been working out and stuff, so it would be good. Paulie’s not really that hard of a puncher, but he’s an excellent boxer and a good mover, so we’ll see what happens,” said Mosley.

“Richard and I have discussed it, along with [advisor] James Prince and [Mosley's attorney] Josh Dublin. So we’ve pretty much agreed on our side, so I think that it’s left to Paulie to agree right now. We’ve pretty much agreed to the basic terms and stuff. We’re just looking, on April 27, to hear about an agreement from Paulie. Once he agrees then I think that everything is set. I shouldn’t have any problems getting to 147. There’s no catch weight if you’re fighting for the belt.”

Schaefer told RingTV.com that Malignaggi-Mosley was under consideration.

“From the Barclays Center on Showtime, it will be Paulie Malignaggi and it’s going to be a triple-header,” said Schaefer. “And it might be, if we can get it done, what is being discussed is the return of Sugar Shane Mosley.”

Malignaggi also seemed keen on Mosley.

“Seems like that’s the plan,” said Malignaggi, referring to a match with Mosley. “Looks like Mosley for now.  No done deal yet though.”

 

BERNARD HOPKINS-TAVORIS COULD BEING CONSIDERED

 

Former RING light heavyweight and middleweight champ Bernard Hopkins could return to the ring on March 9 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn against unbeaten 175-pound IBF titleholder Tavoris Cloud, Schaefer informed RingTV.com’s Dominic Verdin on Saturday.

With a win, Hopkins, who will turn 48 in January, could eclipse his own record as the oldest man to win a significant crown, a feat the Philadelphia native accomplished at the age of 46 with a unanimous decision over Jean Pascal for the WBC’s light heavyweight belt in May of last year.

 

Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

 

Around the web