Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Khan signs Showtime deal

alt

 

In the wake of last Saturday’s Showtime-televised 10th-round stoppage of Carlos Molina, former IBF and WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan has signed a three-fight deal with the network, according to ESPN.com.

A 26-year-old Olympic silver medalist from England, Khan rebounded from last December’s controversial split-decision setback against Lamont Peterson as well as July’s fourth-round knockout loss to Danny Garcia, who picked up Khan’s WBA belt and retained the division’s RING championship and WBC crown.

For Khan (26-3, 18 KOs), the win over Molina was his first under reigning Trainer of the Year Virgil Hunter, who also guides the career of RING, WBA, WBC and Showtime Super Six Champion Andre Ward, a 2004 Olympic gold medalist who was named Fighter of The Year for 2011.

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer informed BoxingScene.com that he expects Khan to return to the ring on either April 13 or 20.

MARGARET GOODMAN HONORED AS ‘PERSON OF THE YEAR’

Dr. Margaret Goodman, founder and president of the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), was honored as “Person of The Year” by HBO’s Jim Lampley on the most recent segment of the network’s boxing show, The Fight Game.

Goodman’s new organization is responsible for the year-round, random drug testing that is being conducted on WBO junior featherweight titleholder Nonito Donaire, this, in the wake of positive drug tests for banned substances by Lamont Peterson and Andre Berto, each of whom had voluntarily selected to be tested by VADA.

“I am deeply honored by the generous endorsement of Jim Lampley and ‘The Fight Game’ for my work with VADA, and am grateful for Mr. Lampley and HBO’s courage to step up and tackle the issue of performance-enhancing drugs in boxing,” stated Goodman, in a prepared release.

“They are the first network to do so, and I salute them for that…We believe that when testing is rigorous, comprehensive and unannounced, it can be an effective deterrent to use of performance-enhancing drugs in sports such as boxing.”

 

GARY SHAW WINS BID TO PROMOTE LAMONT PETERSON-KENDALL HOLT

Promoter Gary Shaw has offered up $50,000 to win Tuesday’s purse bid and the right to promote a bout between  IBF junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson, and mandatory challenger and ex-beltholder Kendall Holt, IBF IBF Championships Chairman Lindsay Tucker and Public Relations Director Jeanette Salazar confirmed.

BoxingScene.com initially reported the development.

Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KOs), a native of Washington, D.C., had been ordered in October to face Holt (28-5, 16 KOs), this, after previous mandatory challenger and former strap holder  Zab Judah failed to sign a contract.

Judah will instead face Garcia on Feb. 9.

“I have 90 days to put it on, I just won the purse bid, so I do not know yet,” said Shaw, referring to possible site venues. “I’d probably like to put it on maybe in [Washington,] D.C., or maybe in Atlantic City. We’ll see.”

Peterson, 28, is 3-0-1 with two knockouts since falling to current WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley by unanimous decision in December of 2009, and is coming off a disputed split-decision that dethroned Khan last December.

Holt, 31, of Paterson, N.J., earned the WBO’s junior welterweight belt with a split-decision over Demetrius Hopkins in December of 2008, but lost by unanimous decision to Bradley in his next bout in April of 2009, this, despite having twice floored Bradley.

Holt is 3-2 in his past five fights, being stopped in the sixth round by Kaizer Mabuza in February of 2010, and losing by split decision to Garcia in October of last year.

Holt, who has been stopped three times, rebounded from the loss to Garcia in his last fight, a second-round knockout of Tim Coleman in March.

Peterson’s manager and trainer, Barry Hunter, said his fighter is interested in Holt.

“I’ve been talking to Gary all along about this fight, and I know that he’s been trying to pull together his piece of the action,” said Hunter. “As it stands now, Lamont is just anxious to get back into the ring and do what he does best, and that’s fight. Lamont is anxious to get back into his grind.”

 

INAUGURAL NEVADA HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES TO BE ANNOUNCED

The Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame, established in October by longtime boxing commentator and historian, Rich Marotta, will announce its inaugural class on Wednesday at The Richard Steele Boxing Club at 11 a.m. in North Las Vegas, Marotta announced on Tuesday.

“States such as California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and most recently New York have their own Boxing Halls of Fame. I was astounded to learn that Nevada, with its rich boxing history, passionate fan base and the reputation as the Boxing Capital of the World, did not have its own Hall of Fame,” said Marotta, of KFI Radio, Los Angeles.

“So we set out last summer to establish the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame as a non-profit, charitable organization to give back to the sport and its fans. In addition to an annual gala Induction Ceremony and Dinner, the NVBHOF will conduct other fund-raising events throughout the year to stay active within the state.”

The honorees were chosen from categories such as Nevada resident boxer, non-Nevada resident boxer (minimum of 10 fights in Nevada or seven world title fights in Nevada), non-boxer participant (trainer, manager or cutman), officials (judges, referees), media, promotions, executives and special contributors.

 Donations to the NV BHOF are tax-deductible, as are tickets purchased to NVBHOF-sponsored events. Donations can be made by visiting the NVBHOF website: www.nvbhof.com. You can “like” NVBHOF on Facebook (facebook.com/nvbhof) and follow it on Twitter (@nvbhof).

 

ABNER COTTO FACES SERGIO PEREZ

Lightweight prospect Abner Cotto (15-0, 6 KOs), of Caguas, Puerto Rico, the 25-year-old cousin of four-time, three-division titleholder Miguel Cotto, will face Sergio Perez (27-13, 18 KOs), of Tijuana, Mex., on Saturday night’s edition of TeleFutura’s Solo Boxeo Tecate from Coliiseo Roger Mendoza in his native Caguas.

 

DANNIE WILLIAMS TO FACE JOHN MOLINA ON JAN. 11

Lightweight “Dangerous” Dannie Williams (22-2, 18 KOs), of St. Louis, Mo, will meet John “The Hammer” Molina (24-2, 19 KOs), of Covina, Calif., in the main event of a Jan. 11 event to be televised on ESPN’s Friday Nights Fight from the Indian School in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

 

SERGIY DZINZIRUK MEETS BRYAN VERA ON JAN. 25

Southpaw former WBO junior middleweight titleholder Sergiy Dzinziruk (37-1, 24 KOs), of the Ukraine by way of Hamburg, Germany, will face  Bryan Vera (21-6, 12 KOs), of Austin, Tex., in a middleweight clash from The Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona, N.Y., on the Jan. 25 edition of ESPN2′ Friday Night Fights.

 

VICTOR ORTIZ TO RETURN IN 2013

Former welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz will attempt to end a two-fight losing streak by returning to the ring in April or May, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KOs) suffered a broken jaw during his Showtime-televised ninth-round knockout loss to Josesito Lopez in June, this, after having been dethroned as WBC 147-pound beltholder following a fourth-round stoppage loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September of last year.

“Victor is probably going to be ready to fight again in April or May,” said Schaefer. “So we’re monitoring his progress, but everything is coming along nicely. He will be back as a welterweight.”

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

 

Around the web