Lem Satterfield

Chavez Jr.’s attorneys to update NSAC on Tuesday in Las Vegas

Attorneys for former WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. are expected to provide “a status update” concerning his positive post-fight drug test to the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum informed RingTV.com in December that “we’ll probably have Chavez either in May or June” to fight in Las Vegas. This news came in the wake of Chavez’s unanimous decision los to RING champion Sergio Martinez in Las Vegas last September.

But Chavez acknowledged having tested positive for marijuana metabolites consistent with the use of the drug in the aftermath of the fight with Martinez, whom he dropped in the dramatic 12th round.

Chavez’s infraction, which could lead to a suspension, a fine or both, will be addressed in some form during the NSAC’s meeting on Tuesday, Kizer said.

In December, Kizer told RingTV.com “We plan to have, at the very least, a status update on Chavez, if not, the hearing itself, on Jan. 8, if he’s ready to do so,” adding, “but at the very least, we’ll go on Jan. 8, and his attorneys will need to show up and explain the status of the matter to the commissioners.”

But Kizer amended his thoughts on Monday concerning Chavez Jr., whom he said is being represented by Las Vegas-based Colby Williams and Don Campbell of the Cambpell and Williams law firm.

“Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is on the agenda for tomorrow. His attorney will be there in person, and he will explain to this commission where he is, and what obstacles they have been having regarding the visa. It looks like everything will not be ready to go until February. It doesn’t look like the full hearing will be tomorrow,” said Kizer.

“Instead, it looks like it will be more of a status check and an update type of a hearing. We’ll hear from them again probably in mid-February. His attorney will explain what the issue has been so far, and why they have not been ready to procede yet and what issues, if any, remain. There have been concerns about him being able to get a visa, according to Chavez’s representatives.”

In the meantime, Martinez will face unbeaten British contender Martin Murray on April 27 in his native Argentina on HBO with plans to “pursue a rematch” on Sept. 14 against Chavez Jr.

 

 

Photo by Naoki Fukuda

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web