The case of former WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who tested positive for marijuana metabolites consistent with the use of the drug in the aftermath of September’s unanimous decision loss to RING champion Sergio Martinez in Las Vegas, will be reviewed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Feb. 28, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer.
Chavez’s infraction could lead to a suspension, a fine or both by the NSAC. In fact, if found guilty, Chavez can be penalized or fined the entire amount of his $3 million purse, suspended for up to a year, or a combination thereof.
Chavez is being represented by Las Vegas-based Colby Williams and Don Campbell of the Campbell and Williams law firm. Last month, Chavez’s attorneys requested that the fighter be suspended for no more than six months and fined no more than $10,000.
Since Chavez’s penalty would begin from the date of his last fight — that being Sept. 15, 2012 — Arum’s goal would be possible if Chavez receives a suspension of nine months or less.
Within a week of falling to Martinez, Chavez (46-1-1, 32 knockouts) claimed “full responsibility for my actions and the consequences thereof” in acknowledging his positive test.
Chavez is being associated with either a banned substance or alcohol abuse for at least the third time in his career, having tested positive for a banned diuretic following his unanimous decision victory over Troy Rowland in November, of 2009, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The result of the Rowland fight was later changed to a “no decision,” Chavez was fined $10,000, and he was suspended for seven months by the NSAC.
Chavez was also arrested on Jan. 22 of last year for driving drunk, just a week before his fight with Marco Antonio Rubio in Texas. Chavez later struck a plea deal in mid-June of last year, which granted him three years of probation and ordered him to to attend 30 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, the latter of which he already had completed.
In spite of his legal issue, Chavez successfully defended his belt against Rubio on Feb. 4 of last year in San Antonio despite being in relatively bad shape and having to lose a large amount of weight the day before the fight.
Chavez was in much better physical condition for his seventh-round stoppage victory over challenger Andy Lee last June.
Chavez later dropped Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KOs) in the 12th round of their HBO PPV-televised fight, but was awarded only four of the 36 rounds scored by judges Dave Moretti, Adalaide Byrd and Stanley Christodoulu, who had Martinez winning, 118-109, 118-109 and 117-110.
Unbeaten middleweight “Comanche Boy” George Tahdooahnippah (31-0-1, 23 KOs), of Lawton, Ok., will pursue his fourth knockout in five bouts and his second straight stoppage victory against Delvin Rodriguez (26-6-3, 14 KOs), of Danbury, Conn., on the Feb. 15 edition of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights at Mohegun Sun in Uncasville, Conn.
“This is the fight I’ve dreamed of my whole career,” said Tahdooahnippah, 34, who is coming off September’s third-round knockout of Gundrick King. “It’s my chance to shine and show the world a real Native American warrior. I won’t be denied.”
Rodriguez, 32, was last in the ring for June’s unanimous decision loss to WBA junior middleweight titleholder Austin Trout.
GARY SHAW SIGNS TRENT BROADHURST
Promoter Gary Shaw has signed light heavyweight prospect Trent “The Terrible” Broadhurst (9-1, 6 KOs), a 6-foot-2 resident of South Brisbane, Australia, who is represented by Angelo Di Carlo’s Ace Boxing.
“I want to thank Angelo Di Carlo of Ace Boxing Promotions for trusting me to lead his fighters. Trent is a wonderful kid with fantastic boxing skills,” said Shaw of the hard-punching Broadhurst, who was 112-9 as an amateur.
“He’ll be a great addition to our already deep roster. I look forward to promoting him here in the U.S. as well as his native land of Australia, with my partner Angelo Di Carlo.”
Broadhurst was raised with four other siblings by a single father before moving in with his current coach Chris McCullen, at tthe age of 16.
“I’m truly grateful for the opportunity Gary Shaw has given me. I want to thank Chris McCullen for taking me under his wing as a teenager. In the past, I’ve let myself down with my discipline outside of the gym, and I haven’t always committed myself 100 percent. I’ve come to realize there is no second chance at this sport and it starts now,” said Broadhurst.
“I’m committed, boxing is my life, and I’m going to show everyone I’m a force to be reckoned with. Undefeated featherweight contender Joel Brunker [25-0, 14 KOs] is a good friend of mine, and he and I both are very excited to be fighting under the Gary Shaw Productions banner. Angelo DiCarlo is a very smart promoter and a great friend. We thank Angelo for bringing us both to Gary Shaw.”
Broadhurst, 24, has scored two straight knockout victories since being stopped in the fifth round by Robert Berridge in October of 2011.
Broadhurst is coming off December’s first-round knockout of Moses Ioelu, and Shaw hopes to have Broadhurst in the ring by the end of February.
“I have immediate plans to bring Trent to the United States in the near future,” said Shaw. “With [IBF middleweight titleholder] Daniel Geale leading the movement of great Australian fighters, Brunker and Broadhurst are sure to follow with their own success. The sky is the limit for all my Australian fighters.”
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org