Welterweight contender Kell Brook admits he is still struggling to come to terms with the shattering news that his IBF title shot at Devon Alexander is not only postponed but, quite possibly, off for good.
It is now a week since the unbeaten British challenger was informed that a bicep injury to American beltholder Alexander meant their showdown, slated for Feb. 23, would have to be put on hold.
If that was tough on Brook (29-0, 19 knockouts), who had been forced to postpone the same fight the previous month because of a minor ankle problem, it was nothing compared with the Twitter statement that soon followed from WBC titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr., who claimed Alexander was in the frame to be his comeback opponent in May.
The Sheffield star knows the situation is out of his control and that he can do nothing more than wait for his promoter Eddie Hearn to return from a trip to the States this week with more concrete details as to his next step on the world ladder.
In the meantime, THE RING’s No. 5-rated welterweight is trying to stay optimistic although, understandably, this is easier said than done.
“Finding out the news, I can’t put into words how devastated I am,” the 26-year-old Brook, who has just completed a 13-week training camp in Spain, told Sky Sports News. “But I’ve got to be professional about it, keep ticking over and keep my mind on it.
“People haven’t heard of me in America and I want to get in there and rip that title off him and explode onto the world scene.
“I’m not sure what’s happening with Mayweather and Alexander. That might be just a ploy to get Mayweather and (Robert) Guerrero to fight for the WBC title. In boxing you never know what is going to happen.
“Eddie Hearn is going over to the Broner-Rees fight this week and he will be with Richard Schaefer. We should find out more in the next week or so.”
Photo / Scott Heavey-Getty Images