The next 24 hours should determine whether or not the world sees a unification clash of unbeaten junior middleweights between southpaw WBA titleholder Austin Trout and Mexican WBC counterpart Saul “Canelo” Alvarez as co-feature to Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero on May 4 at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.
Mayweather (43-0, 26 knockouts), of Las Vegas, against Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, Calif., already is set.
“We need to know, now, whether this is going to happen or not. Canelo wants to know, and rightfully so,” said Schaefer, who informed RingTV.com over the weekend that the prospects were “looking good for Canelo and Trout.”
“So I think within the next 24 hours, we’re going to find out one of three things: A) if Canelo is on the card, B) against who — either Austin Trout or somebody else, or, C) if he’s going to fight on his own date. We will find all of that out within the next 24 hours.”
CURTIS STEVENS SIGNS WITH MAIN EVENTS
Main Events has announced the signing of middleweight nemesis Curtis Stevens (23-3, 17 KOs) to a promotional contract, the company announced on Monday.
Stevens has scored consecutive first-round stoppage wins since falling to Jesse Brinkley by unanimous decision in January of 2010, the first of which was a knockout of Romaro Johnson in March of 2012 that helped him rebound from the loss to Berkley.
“I have a great team in my corner,” said Stevens, 27. “I had two years off, and now I’m back. Now I’m going to take over the middleweight division.”
Stevens is coming off last month’s 70-second knockout of Elvin Ayala, of New Haven, Conn..
“Curtis has the potential to go all the way. He has power, skills, and miles of personality,” said Main Events President Kathy Duva.
“His stunning first round KO of Elvin Ayala on NBC Fight Night in January made quite a statement, and we listened. We are so pleased to make Curtis part of the Main Events family, and look forward to having much success together.”
DUSTY HERNANDEZ-HARRISON RISES TO 13-0
Dusty Hernandez-Harrison, of Washington, D.C., weighed a career-high 149 and three quarters pounds for his second consecutive over-the-welterweight limit fight as he unanimously decisioned Aaron Anderson (2-20, 1 KO) at the Resorts Casino and Hotel in Tunica, Miss., on Saturday night.
In victory, Hernandez-Harrison, who is only 18, improved to 13-0 with eight knockouts.
“I love fighting in Mississippi,” said Hernandez-Harrison, whose first two career bouts were in Southaven, and, Tunica, Miss., respectively. “I have a lot of fans down here, and appreciate that I started my pro career in Tunica.”
The son of a Puerto Rican mother and an Irish father, Hernandez-Harrison expects to be back in action on April 12 in Dover, Delaware as part of the Dover Downs Casino Friday Night Fight Series.
“The boxing events at Dover Downs are major promotions and that is a terrific venue,” said Harrison. “I will be preparing for the challenge on April 12, and it’s great that hundreds of my fans from the D.C. area will be there supporting me.”
Hernandez-Harrison had scored four consecutive knockouts entering the bout with Anderson, and was coming off a third-round stoppage of Kelly Wright, of St. Louis, Mo., on Feb. 8 at the Chase Center in Wilmington, Del.
In addition to his boxing career, Hernandez-Harrison is also a full time student at the College of Southern Maryland. After his classes and homework ended Thursday evening, the first-year student hopped on a plane to Mississippi early Friday morning for the weigh-in.
“I really enjoy going to school and can see myself eventually pursuing a masters one day,” said Hernandez-Harrison. “I know when I get to the next level I may need to cut my class load down so it doesn’t affect my education or my boxing career.”
CHRIS ARREOLA’S BRONCHITIS POSTPONES BOUT WITH BERMANE STIVERNE
The WBC elimination bout scheduled for March 9 between heavyweight contenders Chris Arreola (35-2, 30 KOs), of Riverside, Calif., and Haitian-born Bermane Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 KOs), of Las Vegas, has been postponed due to Arrerola’s bronchitis, according to a report by ESPN.com.
Arreola-Stiverne was slated for The Hangar of the Orange County Fair and Event Center in Costa Mesa, Calif., as part of HBO’s broadcast of the clash between Bernard Hopkins (52-6-2, 32 knockouts) and IBF 175-pound beltholder Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KOs) from Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
The winner of Arreola-Stiverne would be in line to challenge 41-year-old WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko (45-2, 41 knockouts), who scored his 13th straight win and his 10th stoppage victory during that run against Manuel Charr (21-1, 11 KOs) in September.
ALANTEZ FOX RETURNS ON SATURDAY
Junior middleweight Alantez “SlyAza” Fox (9-0-1, four knockouts), a 6-foot-5 prospect who turns 21 in March, is coming off last month’s unanimous decision victory over Julius Kennedy (7-3-1, 3 KOs) at The Rosecroft Raceway in Fort Washington, Md.
“I’m always excited to have a fight scheduled, and the feeling intensifies as the fight gets closer. Every fighter brings something different to the table, and by fighting more, I get the opportunity to see a variety of challenges,” said Fox.
“It makes it even better when I get to accomplish my goals in front of my fans from my home town or my home state. I’ll be looking to treat my fans to an entertaining night. [Fox’s promoter] Boxing 360 is doing a great job with my career.”
Photo by Gene Blevins, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Rich Graessle, Main Events
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org