The WBC lightweight titleholder was released on a $1,500 bond after being arrested at 10:13 a.m. and charged with battery before being released by the Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation Department at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, according to the arrest report the undefeated fighter posted on his Instagram account before deleting it.
Broner was arrested at The LaFontainebleu Hotel at 4441 Collins Ave., according to a staffer at the Miami-Dade Corrections facility.
Broner (26-0, 22 knockouts), who is coming off a fifth-round stoppage of Gavin Rees in February, is scheduled to face WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi on June 22 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
TYSON FURY CHIDES THE KLITSCHKO BROTHERS
A 6-foot-9 heavyweight from Manchester, England, Tyson Fury had long been considered by the late trainer Emanuel “Manny” Steward to be a potential successor to RING, IBF, WBA and WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko and his older brother, WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko.
“I’ve heard about Emanuel Steward’s comments, and I have a lot of respect for Emanuel Steward, God rest his soul,” said Fury, who is 20-0 with 14 knockouts. “This is why I’m finding it so hard to get fights. This is why Wladimir or Vitali won’t fight me.”
Fury (20-0, 14 knockouts) will make his American debut against former two-time IBF cruiserweight titleholder Steve Cunningham (25-5, 12 KOs), of Philadelphia, on April 20 at New York’s Madison Square Garden.
Named after Mike Tyson, Fury takes on Cunningham in an IBF eliminator for the right to face Wladimir Klitschko. In an event promoted by Main Events, Fury-Cunningham will be televised on NBC’s Fight Night at 4 p.m. ET.
“I think that the Klitschkos have known all along about me because Emanuel kept saying to them ‘Tyson’s going to be the one who takes over your title reigns,'” said Fury, who has weighed as much as 270 pounds for a bout and is coming off December’s unanimous decision over American former title challenger Kevin Johnson.
“Emanuel Steward would say, ‘Tyson’s your successor.’ Every time. So it’s in their minds now that Tyson is going to take over their titles, and they believe it. Emanuel is nobody’s fool, and he told them what he thought. He was always giving me good praise. So that’s not rubbish.”
Cunningham stands 6-foot-3 and will be fighting as a heavyweight for only the third consecutive time, having weighed a career-high 207 pounds for his division debut and a unanimous decision over Jason Gavern last September.
“As Jesus Christ is my savior, I am the savior of the heavyweight division. I’m here, and I’m going to prove it. It’s redemption time for the heavyweights. I’m bringing it back to the glory days, back to the days when everybody wanted to be the heavyweight champion of the world,” said Fury.
“Nobody wants to be the heavyweight champion of the world now because nobody even cares. We need to bring the excitement back to the heavyweight division and make the heavyweight championship of the world the No. 1 goal in sports as it used to be. That’s where I come into things and that’s where I transcend boxing. The biggest thing of all is that I can talk.”
DAVID HAYE TO RETURN IN JULY
Haye, 32, was last in action in July of last year when he knocked out English countryman Dereck Chisora in the fifth round.
Haye returned to the ring against Chisora for the first time since being dethroned as titleholder by Wladimir Klitschko via unanimous decision in July of 2011.
The loss to Wladimir Klitschko ended Haye’s winning streak of 15 straight fights, 13 of them by stoppage. Haye was also stopped in his only other loss, a fifth-round knockout in September of 2004 against journeyman Carl Thompson, who himself had been knocked out in five of his six losses.
JUAN MANUEL LOPEZ RETURNS AGAINST WILLIAM PRADO
Puerto Rican ex-titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez will return to the ring on April 20 against Brazil’s William Prado on the undercard of a main event featuring Mexican junior featherweight Victor Terrazas in a clash for the WBC’s vacant 122-pound title against countryman Cristian Mijares in Mexico City’s Arena Ciudad de Mexico, Sean Gibbons of Zanfer Promotions confirmed on Tuesday.
Lopez (32-2, 29 knockouts) could be in line to face RING featherweight champion Miguel Angel “Mikey” Garcia (31-0, 26 KOs) if he defeats Prado (20-3-1, 13 KOs), whom he will meet at a maximum weight of 128 pounds.
Garcia is coming off January’s eighth-round, technical-decision victory over Orlando Salido at New York’s Madison Square Garden. Salido had won all five of his previous bouts by stoppage, two of them against the hard-hitting southpaw Lopez in Puerto Rico.
Mijares (47-6-2, 22 KOs) has won 11 consecutive fights — seven by stoppage — since falling to Nehomar Cermeno by unanimous decision in September of 2009.
Mijares is coming December’s ninth-round knockout of former two-division beltholder Rafael Marquez heading into the bout with Terrazas (36-2-1, 21 KOs), who has gone 10-0 with seven stoppage victories since his last loss.
Photo courtesy of Hennesy Sports
Photo by Peter Amador, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com