The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday voted 3-2 to suspend and fine lightweight prospect Mickey Bey, of Cleveland, for having tested positive for high levels of testosterone in the wake of his third-round knockout of Robert Rodriguez on Feb. 2 at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.
Bey was suspended for three months, fined $1,000, and his victory over Rodriguez will be declared a no-contest, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer.
Bey’s record now stands at 18-0-1 with 9 knockouts and a no-contest, and Rodriguez’s is 7-2 with three stoppage wins and a no-contest.
While Nevada’s rules allow for a maximum testosterone to epitestosterone ratio of six-to-one, Bey’s was greater than 30-to-one, according to Kizer.
“Mickey Bey got a three-month suspension and a $1,000 fine out of his $8,000 purse, and they changed his win to a no-decision. The reason that they gave him a break on the suspension is that he went to the doctor about a month before the fight, and he told the doctor what he did for a living,” said Kizer.
“He said that he couldn’t take any performance enhancing substances. The doctor actually wrote that in her notes, but then, she went ahead and gave him the stuff. So it sounds like more of an issue with the doctor than the fighter. Two of the commissioners wanted him to do many more months of a suspension. They wanted to give him a break, but not that big of a break, but they were out-voted, 3-2.”
See the doctors’ note below.
In March 2012, IBF junior welterweight beltholder Lamont Peterson failed a drug test that was contractually administered at his choosing by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coming up dirty for synthetic testosterone.
Peterson’s infraction led to his being stripped of the WBA’s belt he won from Amir Khan. Meanwhile, the IBF declined to strip Peterson after a review of his medical records by IBF-appointed doctors ruled that the testosterone levels discovered in Peterson’s failed drug test were not at a level that would enhance his performance.
Last month, the NSAC voted 3-2 to fine former WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. $900,000 and suspend him for nine months as a result of his testing positive for marijuana metabolites after his unanimous-decision loss to RING champion Sergio Martinez last September in Las Vegas.
The fine represented 30 percent of Chavez’s $3 million purse and the suspension began from the date of his fight with Martinez. Chavez must also produce a clean urine sample to the NSAC prior to his next fight in Las Vegas, in accordance with the ruling.
Chavez’s fine was the second-biggest fine ever in NSAC history, the other being Mike Tyson’s $3 million for biting Evander Holyfield’s ear. The old record for No. 2 was $200,000 against Bernard Hopkins when he pushed Winky Wright at the weigh-in” according to Kizer.
In another matter, veteran referee Tony Weeks of Las Vegas, as well as judges Duane Ford and Dave Moretti of Nevada, and Bill Lerch, of Illinois, were selected by the Nevada State Athletic Commission to work the the March 30 rematch of October’s bloody Fight-of-The-Year-caliber clash between junior welterweights Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado.
Rios (31-0-1, 23 KOs) became the first man to stop Alvarado (33-1, 23 KOs), doing so by seventh-round knockout.
(click the thumbnails to read the documents)
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com