NEW YORK — The advisor of RING and WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez said the Argentine would consider a rematch with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. if it took place in Las Vegas, Atlantic City or New York, and under the condition that both fighters contractually agree to Olympic-style drug testing.
Advisor Sampson Lewkowicz spoke to RingTV.com on April 13 during an afternoon promotional press conference at Gallagher’s Steak House in New York announcing the June 29 fight between middleweight challenger Matthew Macklin and WBA titleholder Gennady Golovkin.
Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KOs) is coming off September’s unanimous decision victory over Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, a dominant performance that took a dramatic turn in the 12th round when Martinez had to fight to survive following a knockdown.
“We’re willing to fight Chavez again under the condition of this time having the Olympic test,” said Lewkowicz. “If there is nothing wrong, do the test, and we’ll have a fight.”
But Lewkowicz said he would insist on Martinez-Chavez II taking place either in Las Vegas, Atlantic City or New York. New York’s Madision Square Garden was the site of Martinez’s 11th-round knockout win over Macklin, whom he dropped twice in final round after having been floored, himself, in the seventh.
“We would have three to choose from,” said Lewkowicz. “No. 1, Las Vegas. No. 2, New Jersey, and No. 3, New York.”
In Atlantic City, Martinez split bouts with Paul Williams, losing by majority decision in December of 2009 before scoring a sensational second-round stoppage in November of 2010.
“Atlantic City is like Sergio’s second home, because he became a star in Atlantic City with Paul Williams, with Kelly Pavlik. So we really love Atlantic City,” said Lewkowicz.
“And then, we would have to have all-around Olympic drug testing of blood, and of urine, and of whatever there may be.”
Martinez will next be in the ring for an HBO-televised defense against Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11 KOs) on April 27 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
“We have a tough fight on April 27, and we have to respect Martin Murray, because that is a real challenge. Sergio Martinez is focused and motivated for that fight,” said Lewkowicz.
“After that, we’ll wait to see what happens with these fights in June, and then, we’ll make a decision. So we still have a couple of months to decide,” said Lewkowicz.
SAUL ALVAREZ-AUSTIN TROUT WEIGH-IN TO BE STREAMED LIVE
Friday’s weigh-in for the Showtime-televised RING championship bout between Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KOs) and WBC junior middleweight titleholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) will be streamed live at Sports.Sho.Com.
On Friday night starting at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT, Fox Deportes Classic will show three of Alvarez’s biggest victories — his 12th-round stoppage of Ryan Rhodes in June of 2011, his sixth-round knockout of Alfonso Gomez in September of that year, and his fifth-round knockout of Kermit Cintron two months later.
LUIS ABREGU TO MAKE TOP RANK DEBUT VS. ANTONIN DECARIE ON APRIL 27
Arum has officially announced the signing of hammer-fisted welterweight Luis Abregu (33-1, 27 KOs), a 29-year-old from Salta, Argentina, who is coming off January’s HBO-televised TKO of Puerto Rican prospect Thomas Dulorme (18-1, 13 KOs).
RingTV.com reported the development on Wednesday.
“”We are delighted to have Carlos as part of our Top Rank group of fighters,” said Arum. “He is a good, strong welterweight who will perform at the highest level against top competition.”
Abregu’s only loss was in July of 2010 against current WBO 147-pound beltholder Tim Bradley.
Abregu will face Canadian Antonin Decarie (27-1, 8 KOs) on April 27 on the Martinez-Murray undercard. Decarie has won four straight and is coming off September’s sixth-round stoppage win over previously unbeaten Alex Perez (17-1, 9 KOs).
JAVIER FORTUNA LOSES TITLE ON THE SCALES
Lewkowicz is promoting Friday night’s ESPN2-televised triple-header from the Tropicana Showroom in the Tropicana Casino and Resort in Atlantic City whose main event features Javier “El Abejon” Fortuna (21-0, 15 KOs), of the Dominican Republic, against Mexican Miguel “Mikol” Zamudio (25-1-1, 13 KOs).
Fortuna weighed 126.8 on Thursday compared to Zamudio’s 125.4, meaning that Fortuna automatically lost the WBC’s interim belt as a result of being over the 126-pound division limit, according to a press release e-mailed to RingTV.com on Thursday.
Fortuna initially weighed in at 127 pounds, but was given time to attempt to make weight and failed. Zamudio still can win the belt if he is victorious.
Fortuna was without his regular trainer, Pablo Sarmiento, who is with Martinez in Argentina. In Sarmiento’s absence, another trainer was used, said Lewkowicz.
“He was actually at 126.6, but he couldn’t make the weight. Part of that was that he didn’t have his trainer, Pablo Sarmiento, who is training Martinez, so he didn’t have the time for Fortuna. I believe that it was 50 percent Fortuna’s fault, and 50 percent the fault of the new trainer that they didn’t do the job correctly,” said Lewkowicz.
“I can assure you that Fortuna will come back to the 126-pound weight class. He is not a 130-pounder, although he could challenge anybody at 130. He is really a 126-pounder, and his next fight after this fight will be at 126. He was not even a pound over.”
Also weighing in were John “Dah Rock” Jackson (15-1, 14 KOs), of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, and “Sir” Cerresso Fort (16-0-1, 11 KOs), of St. Paul, Minn., at 154.2, and, 155, respectively, and Emmanuel Lartei Lartey (14-0-1, 7 KOs), of Ghana, against Jonathan Batista (13-0, 6 KOs), of the Dominican Republic, at 144.6 and 147.6.
TYSON FURY-STEVE CUNNINGHAM WEIGH-IN TO BE BROADCAST LIVE ON ‘THE CROSSOVER’
Fury (20-0, 14 knockouts) and Cunningham (25-5, 12 KOs) will meet at New York’s Madison Square Garden in a bout to be televised on NBC’s Fight Nights, as well as on Channel 5 in the United Kingdom.
Fury-Cunningham will take place over the course of a 90-minute program from 9:30 p.m. in the United Kingdom, while NBC will be airing a special two-hour afternoon presentation at 4 p.m. ET.
Fury will be making his American debut as part of his quest to stake his claim as the heir apparent to RING, IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and his older brother, WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko.
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Photo by Naoki Fukuda
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com