Retired former contender “Irish” Micky Ward, of Lowell, Mass., called the alleged acts of deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev “cowardly,” having once met the former amateur boxer and two-time New England champion at a tournament.
“I have no clue what made him do what he did,” said Ward, 47, during an interview with RingTV.com on Sunday from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where he is training fighters until November.
“What I do think, though, is that it’s a cowardly act. He’s not a real fighter. It’s a tragic situation, what happened.”
Ward also addressed a photo from 2006 that surfaced showing Ward posing with Tsarnaev, whose younger brother and suspected accomplice, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has been arrested and is being held in custody.
“I had a kid that was fighting at super heavyweight right after him. They were fighting in the Golden Gloves, and I just took a picture with him like I have done with a million people,” said Ward, who is known for winning the first of three bouts in his classic trilogy with Arturo Gatti.
“But that’s about it. I don’t know him. I just took a picture with him at the fights and that’s it. Beyond that, I really don’t have much to say. I just took a picture with him, and that’s as far as it went. Like anything else, I never knew him.”
Ward said he had been worried about a friend who was participating in the marathon, but that she emerged unscathed.
“I run a charity called Team Micky Ward Charities, and we have people running for our charity pretty much every year in the marathon to raise money for my charity. So we had a girl running the marathon, and she was a mile behind the bombing, and she never got to finish. It’s a good thing that she didn’t run faster,” said Ward.
“Because she would have been right in the middle of it. One minute more, she could have been affected. But they re-routed her and everybody was nervous for a while because nobody could get a hold of her because the cell phones weren’t working and they were down. We finally got a hold of her, and she was half-way home, and everything is okay. Nobody got hurt. Everybody that I know in Boston is doing okay.”
Rodriguez informed Yahoo!Sports in an interview last week that he watched the news about the bombing shortly after his wife, Stephanie, gave birth to their third child, Evan Kaden Rodriguez, on Monday.
Ward defeated Gatti and then twice lost to before retiring. Of the three Gatti-Ward bouts, the first and third earned THE RING magazine’s “Fight Of The Year” honors.
NEVADA HALL OF FAME TO HOLD FIRST FAN EVENT
Longtime boxing commentator and historian Rich Marotta, of KFI Radio, Los Angeles, has announced that the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame will hold its first fan event entitled “A Night with Boxing Legends” on May 2 at 7:30 p.m. PT at Diego’s Méxican Cuisine restaurant at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Present at the event will be former champion Mike “The Body Snatcher” McCallum, trainer Freddie Roach, referee Joe Cortez and Showtime boxing commentator Al Bernstein.
“It’s a meet and greet, Q and A, bring the boxing community together type thing right at Diego Restaurant in MGM Grand,” stated Marotta in an e-mail.
“I’ve got four first-year inductees in four different categories who have confirmed to be speakers, take questions, sign autographs. And and all will provide memorobilia for a raffle.”
Tickets may be purchased on the Nevada Hall of Fame website for $20 to the event, which will transpire two days before the May 4 clash between pound-for-pound king and WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Robert Guerrero on Showtime PPV from the MGM Grand.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org