Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Garcia eyes legacy-building victory

alt
 

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — RING, WBA and WBC junior welterweight champion Danny “Swift” Garcia will be after his third straight stoppage win against ex-beltholder Zab “Super” Judah when they meet on Showtime on Saturday night at Barclays Center.

A victory by Garcia (25-0, 16 knockouts), whose father and trainer, Angel Garcia, has predicted a fifth-round knockout, would follow up consecutive fourth-round stoppages over four-division titlewinner Erik Morales and two-division beltwinner Amir Khan last year.

For Garcia, who is 25, the 35-year-old Brooklyn native will represent the sixth consecutive fight against a current or former titleholder during a run that includes decisions over ex-beltholders Nate Campbell and Kendall Holt from April and October of 2011, and a unanimous decision over Morales last March.

Would Danny Garcia consider a rise in weight if he wins convincingly against Judah?

“We’re looking at that. After this. It’s going to be soon. I could say soon. Danny is making 140 easy. He weighs 142 right now. Look at him. He looks good,” said Angel Garcia, during Wednesday’s open workout for the media at Gleason’s Gym.

“His eyes are not dark or black like he’s suffering from hunger. He’s not starving to make weight. I don’t starve my fighters. I know how to do this. We know how to have a focused and good camp. We had a beautiful camp and he looks beautiful.”

A former 140-pound titleholder and welterweight champ, Judah will have been out of the ring for more than a year since scoring a ninth-round knockout over previously unbeaten Vernon Paris last March when he steps in against Garcia.

“They all say the same thing: Danny Garcia’s too flat-footed, and Danny Garcia’s too slow and he’s mechanical, but they can’t beat me. It’s different when you’re on the outside, and then, you get hit,” said Garcia.

“Zab has got to come to me. I’m the champion. If he wants it, he’s gotta come and get it. So he’s just another guy in my way, and another guy who will help me to build my legacy, and I’m gonna win.”

PETER QUILLIN LOOKS TO BUILD MIDDLEWEIGHT LEGACY

alt

WBO middleweight beltholder Peter Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs) returns to the Barclays Center on Saturday night’s Garcia-Judah card against Fernando Guerrero (25-1, 19 KOs), who will be after his fifth straight victory since falling by fourth-round knockout to 40-year-old journeyman Grady Brewer in June of 2011.

Quillin, meanwhile, is coming off October’s unanimous decision win over previously unbeaten Hassan N’Dam, whom he dropped six times.

“I’m blessed to be part of a division that always has been an attractive weight class. You’ve got middleweights with speed and the power, so it’s like 50-50,” said Quillin. “It’s an action-packed weight class and I just want to make sure that when I go out there, I’m adding my own part to that with the credentials that I’m building for myself.”

Guerrero will be in his first bout with Barry Hunter, given that his former trainer, Virgil Hunter, is in England with Khan preparing him for Saturday night’s bout with Julio Diaz.

“Confidence is there. I’m not worried about what he can and can’t do, I’m just concerned about what I can do,” said Guerrero. “He can only do what I allow him to do.”

ZACHARY OCHOA HAS FIRST BOUT AT BARCLAYS

Junior welterweight Zachary Ochoa (3-0, 3 KOs), a 20-year-old from Brooklyn with two first-round stoppages and a third in the fourth, will meet Calvin Smith (2-2), of Prichard, Ala., on the Garcia-Judah card. 

Ochoa is coming off November’s first-round knockout of Michael Salcido on the undercard of an eighth-round knockout victory by Adrien Broner for the WBC’s lightweight belt over Antonio DeMarco at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

ANGEL GARCIA WON’T PARDON JUDAH’S INTERRUPTION

alt

Angel Garcia still is outraged at the fact that Judah interrupted a Tuesday promotional event involving Danny Garcia and a couple other fighters on the Garcia-Judah card at a nearby Modell’s sports outlet.

Click here for a video of Zab Judah crashing Danny Garcia’s signing event on Tuesday.

After interrupting the event, Angel Garcia accused Judah and some of his camp members of following them out of the store and attacking a car in which they were riding.

“He [Judah] came over and started spitting on the vehicle and spitting on the vehicle. Little girls do that. He came around the front of the car and whacked his hands down on the top of the hood. Lucky I wasn’t driving or I would have run him over. Danny wasn’t driving, one of my drivers was driving,” said Angel Garcia.

“I was trying to get Danny out of there. You don’t do that in a Modell’s. What’s Modell going to think about boxing right now? Do they do that in baseball or basketball? What name did we leave there yesterday? Is Modell going to call boxer’s back? No, because they’re going to sayis going to start fights. We lost people who would have helped boxing.”

Sam Watson, the right hand man of boxing advisor to the stars, Al Haymon, backed up Angel Garcia’s assertions.

“It was embarrassing. We don’t need that,” said Sam Watson. “The fight’s between him and Danny, and Danny’s going to whup his ass, and that’s going to be the bottom line.” 

OMAR FIGUEROA RETURNS ON ANDRE BERTO, KEITH THURMAN CARD ON JULY 27

alt

Lightweight prospect Omar Figueroa Jr. (21-0-1, 17 KOs), who is coming off last Saturday’s first-round stoppage of Abner Cotto (16-1, 7 KOs), will return to the ring on the July 27 undercard of a Showtime-televised tripleheader  featuring two-time welterweight titlewinner Andre Berto (28-2, 22 KOs) against hard-charging Jesus Soto Karass (27-8-3, 17 KOs), and 147-pound contender Keith “One Time” Thurman (20-0, 18 KOs) against Turkey’s Selcuk Aydin (24-2, 17 KOs) at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

ESPN.com originally reported the news.

 

 

Photos by Tom Casino

Photo by Naoki Fukuda

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web