Lem Satterfield

Marquez-Bradley moves to Oct. 12 to accomodate Mayweather-Alvarez

alt

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said that he will move a scheduled HBO Pay Per View-televised Sept. 14 bout between WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley and four-division beltholder Juan Manuel Marquez to Oct. 12 at The Thomas & Mack Center in order to avoid clashing with the Showtime PPV mega bout between RING No. 1-rated pound-for-pound Floyd Mayweather Jr. and RING junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

Arum was responding to the news on Wednesday that Mayweather (44-0, 26 knockouts) and Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) signed to face each other on Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand.

“We said that if Floyd Mayweather was going to be fighting on Sept. 14, then we would move to Oct. 12,” said Arum. “So this what what we’re going to do, and it will be at the Thomas and Mack.”

On Sept. 15 of last year, Golden Boy promoted a card headlined by Alvarez’s fifth-round knockout of Josesito Lopez at the MGM Grand, while Top Rank featured RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez’s  unanimous decision over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr at The Thomas & Mack.

Bradley is coming off a unanimous decision over Ruslan Provodnikov in March that followed his split-decision victory in June over Manny Pacquiao, whom Marquez knocked out in the sixth round in December.

“We said from the get-go that if Mayweather had reserved the date for Sept. 14, and that if he was going to fight on Sept. 14, then we would move to Oct. 12,” said Arum.

“No big deal. We’re very excited about Marquez and Bradley. It’s a very, very good fight.”

 

 

Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web