Lem Satterfield

Burgos-Prescott on July 26

alt

Once-beaten Mexican contender Juan Carlos Burgos, who was last in the ring for January’s disputed split-draw with Puerto Rican WBO junior lightweight beltholder Roman “Rocky” Martinez, will face Colombian Daulis Prescott on July 26 at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort in Sacramento, his co-promoters Thompson Boxing Promotions and Banner Promotions announced on Monday.

A 25-year-old with a record of 30-1-1 that includes 20 knockouts, Burgos will face Prescott (26-2, 19 KOs) as the main event of a card to be televised on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.

In his last bout, Burgos was seen as the victor against Martinez by the score of 117-111 on the card of Weleska Roldan, while Tony Paollilo had it 116-112 for Martinez, and John Signorelli scored it 114-114. RingTV.com scored it 115-113 for Burgos, whose winning streak of five straight bouts was ended.

Burgos appeared to outbox Martinez in the early rounds with lateral movement and well-timed uppercuts, and landed 118 of his 234 power punches to his rival’s body, according to CompuBox stats.

“We are looking forward to getting Juan Carlos back in the ring,” said Banner Promotions CEO Artie Pelullo.

“Juan Carlos proved in the Martinez fight that he is the best 130-pound fighter in the world. My partners at Thompson Boxing and I were ecstatic to get a new contract done with him and we feel he will rule at 130 pounds and a great performance on July 26th will get him another shot at the title.”

altRated No. 4 behind Martinez in THE RING’s junior lightweight rankings, Burgos last suffered defeat by unanimous decision in November of 2010 to Japan’s Hozumi Hasegawa in a failed bid to earn the WBC’s featherweight belt.

Since then, however, Burgos is 5-0-1, with two knockouts, including a majority decision over previously unbeaten Luis Cruz in November of 2011, a unanimous decision over former titleholder Cristobal Cruz in February of 2012, and a second-round stoppage of previously undefeated Cesar Vasquez in July of last year. 

Both Pellulo and Ken Thompson and Alex Camponovo of Thompson Boxing, are confident that the aggressive boxer-technician will win his third crack at a world title.

“It’s important to keep a young fighter like Juan Carlos busy and primed for his next chance to a world title,” said Camponovo. “Daulis Prescott will test him and it should be an excellent fight. Our No. 1 WBO fighter is just waiting for the next opportunity to show what he is capable of.”

 

Photo by Naoki Fukuda

Photo by Carlos Baeza-Thompson BoxingPhoto / Carlos Baeza-Thompson Boxing

 

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web