Lem Satterfield

Roach-trained Cotto could face Rodriguez on Oct. 5

Top Rank President Todd duBoef has confirmed a Twitter account announcement by Miguel Cotto that the three-division titlewinner will return to the ring under the Top Rank banner on Oct. 5 on HBO.

“That’s true. That’s 100 percent true,” said duBoef. “The sites we’re looking at are in Orlando and Miami, and an opponent has not been named yet.”

Cotto made the assertion himself, also writing that Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach will be in his corner.

“I will be back in the ring on Oct 5th on @hboboxing with @trboxing and @freddieroach in my corner,” wrote Cotto. “With this in mind I will keep working hard for the best benefits for me my family and my company. Will give more details ahead.”

Cotto (37-4, 30 knockouts), who turns 32 on Oct. 29, fought his past two bouts under the Golden Boy Promotions banner, falling by unanimous decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Austin Trout in May and December of last year, respectively.

Cotto’s last victory was under the banner of Top Rank — his promoter from the outset of his career — and was in December of 2011 by 10th-round knockout over Antonio Margarito. Cotto was trained by Pedro Diaz in his past three bouts.

“It’s all about the relationship that we have with Miguel, and I have specifically with him, and it’s something that we both wanted,” said duBoef.

“As I have said to him, privately, is that we started a project together, and we would love to finish the project with him. We have a great relationship, and I take great pride in his career, and I’m absolutely thrilled to keep the ball rolling with him and his team.”

According to various reports, Cotto will fight Delvin Rodriguez. Although Cotto’s legal advisor, Gaby Penagaricano could not be reached for an immediate comment to confirm an opponent, he informed BoxingScene.com that Rodriguez “is a possibility, he is in consideration.”

“We are working on various opponents and Delvin is one of them,” said Penagaricano. “Nothing has been agreed to with anyone yet, but we are working on it.”

Rodriguez (28-6-3, 16 KOs), who is 33, has won two straight by knockout since falling by unanimous decision to Trout in June of 2012. 

Roach could not be reached for an immediate comment.

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web