British heavyweight contender David Haye has confirmed he has signed a deal to face unbeaten rival Tyson Fury on September 28, in Manchester, England.
Haye, THE RING’s No.3-ranked heavyweight, announced the news on Twitter early Monday afternoon before adding he is now awaiting fellow-Englishman Fury to put pen to paper on the contract.
“I’ve just signed to fight Fury on Sep 28, let’s hope he finally agrees (and signs today) and he doesn’t keep delaying,” said the 32-year-old south Londoner on the social network. “Word around ‘Camp Fire’ is Fury is looking to duck me and fight Tony ‘The Tiger’ [Thompson]. Let’s hope they are just rumours.”
In an attached video, Haye had also said: “I’m even happier because I’m about to sign to fight Tyson Fury. We’ve rejigged the contract – so he’s nice and happy.”
The late summer grudge match – the pair have been embroiled in verbal warfare on Twitter since the start of the year – is scheduled to take place at the 21,000-capacity MEN Arena in Manchester.
Judging by an earlier tweet from Fury, 25 last month, it appears he is ready to fulfil his side of the bargain and take on the former heavyweight and cruiserweight titleholder.
“Every1 wants to see me lose to Haye! Bar a small%! But it’s just not going to happen,” said Manchester-born Fury (21-0, 15 knockouts), who last time out stopped American Steve Cunningham in the seventh round at Madison Square Garden Theater in New York.
Haye (26-2, 24 KOs) withdrew from his planned June comeback clash against American Manuel Charr with a hand injury. He has not fought since his five-round demolition of Englishman Dereck Chisora exactly a year ago.