Lem Satterfield

R. Marquez signs with Golden Boy?

Two-division titlewinner Rafael Marquez has signed with Golden Boy Promotions with the intention of ending what will be an 11-month ring absence, the 36-year-old fighter informed the Mexican newspaper Record.

“I signed four fights with Golden Boy and my return will be the September 7 in Los Angeles,” said Marquez (41-8, 37 KOs), the younger brother of four-division titlewinner Juan Manuel Marquez. “I will make those four fights with Golden Boy and say goodbye to boxing. It could be in 2014.”

Marquez is most known for splitting four bouts with Mexican rival Israel Vazquez, winning by knockouts in the first and last of the matchups. 

After defeating Vazquez the second time in May of 2010, Marquez debuted as a featherweight, falling by an eighth-round stoppage loss to Juan Manuel Lopez in a failed bid to win the WBO’s belt.

Marquez rebounded with a sixth-round knockout of Eduardo Becerril in July of 2011 before losing a WBC junior featherweight title bout to titleholder Toshiaki Nishioka in October of 2011.

Marquez was stopped in the ninth round of his last fight in October of last year by Cristian Mijares.

“I need another world title. I feel pretty good still to fight,” said Rafael Marquez, who expects to be trained by Nacho Beristain, the same man who handles his brother.

“People will see the difference in Rafael Marquez. I have to show them that I still have a lot and I will return better prepared to give a good show. There are many opponents who could face me… Abner Mares, Leo Santa Cruz, Victor Terrazas.”

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web