Lem Satterfield

Martinez won’t name rival until September

alt

 

RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez will not name his next opponent until during or after September, according to the Argentine’s advisor, Sampson Lewkowicz.

Until then, Lewkowicz said that Martinez (51-2-2, 28 knockouts) will likely await the next moves of fighters such as WBA titleholder Gennady Golovkin, WBO beltholder Peter Quillin, IBF counterpart Daniel Geale, and former beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

“Let me put it this way: We will not discuss any future for Sergio Martinez until September,” said Lewkowicz, who once informed RingTV.com that he considered September of 2014 to be “the perfect time” for a bout between Martinez and Golovkin.

“And the reason is that whoever we talk about, all of them are fighting at least one more time. So we don’t know the results of those fights, and that’s the reason why there will be no discussions of opponents until after September. There are several fights from which the winner could potentially emerge as the opponent for Sergio Martinez in March or April of next year.”

Martinez, also the WBC’s 160-pound beltholder, was last in the ring for April’s unanimous-decision win over Martin Murray, representing his seventh-straight win during a run that includes four stoppage victories.

Meanwhile, Golovkin (27-0, 23 KOs) scored his 14th-straight knockout last month against Matthew Macklin, whom Martinez stopped in March of last year. 

Geale (29-1, 15 KOs) has a defense against Darren Barker (25-1, 16KOs) on Aug. 17, and Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs), whom Martinez beat by unanimous decision last September, is slated to face Bryan Vera on Sept. 7.

 

Photo by Juan Mabromata, AFP/Getty.

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web