Mexican IBF lightweight beltholder Miguel Vazquez could make the sixth defense of title on Sept. 28 in Mexicso in a rematch with Ammeth Diaz, according Zanfer Promotions matchmaker, Sean Gibbons, who handles Vazquez.
Gibbons said Zanfer won a purse bid on Tuesday and the right to to promote the fight, doing so with the uncontested amount of $51,000, which was he said was received by IBF Championships Chairman Lindsay Tucker.
“The bid was held at the IBF offices yesterday, July 16 at 11:45, and the only bidder was Zanfer Promotions for $51,000,” said Gibbons. “The bid Fed-exed in and opened by Lindsay Tucker.”
A 26-year-old technical, mobile boxer, Vazquez (33-3, 13 knockouts) is coming off a unanimous decision over previously unbeaten southpaw prospect Mercito Gesta in December for his 12th straight win during a run that includes three stoppages.
A hard-punching 30-year-old from Panama City, Panama, Diaz (32-11, 23 KOs) has scored two straight knockouts since falling by unanimous decision to Vazquez in January of 2012.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org