Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Thompson’s at home away from home

alt

Have fists, will travel.

That seems to be the mantra adopted by American heavyweight contender Tony Thompson, who will go overseas for his fourth consecutive fight when he meets Russian counterpart Kubrat Pulev on Aug. 24 in Schwerin, Germany, in a clash that is being promoted by Sauerland Events.

Thompson confirmed the fight with RingTV.com on July 25.

A married 41-year-old father of seven, Thompson (38-3, 26 knockouts) is coming off consecutive stoppage victories in the second- and fifth-rounds over England’s previously unbeaten David Price in February and on July 6, each of which were registered in Liverpool.

Thompson rose from a second-round knockdown during the repeat victory over Price (15-2, 13 KOs), who had scored nine straight knockouts before suffering his first loss.

Thompson’s initial victory over Price had helped him to rebound from a sixth-round knockout loss to RING champion and IBF, WBA and WBO beltholder Wladimir Klitschko in Switzerland in July of last year. Thompson also suffered an 11th-round stoppage loss to Klitschko in July of 2008.

“I don’t even need a passport, they’ve got me flying so much. It’s becoming like I’m at home away from home,” said Thompson, whose bout with Pulev is an IBF eliminator.

“This is an opportunity that I just couldn’t pass up, because, obviously, I’ll be one step away from fighting for the heavyweight championship again.”

Pulev scored his eighth and ninth straight knockouts in the 11th-round over Alexander Dimitrenko and previously unbeaten Alexander Ustinov last May and September, respectively.

DANIEL GEALE SEEKS ‘CREDIBILITY’ VERSUS DARREN BARKER

Australian IBF middleweight titleholder Daniel Geale is looking to establish some “credibility” when he makes his United States debut with an Aug. 17 defense against England’s Darren Barker on HBO’s Boxing After Dark from the Revel Resort in Atlantic City, N.J.

A 32-year-old who is riding an eight-fight winning streak that includes two stoppages, Geale (29-1, 15 knockouts) is coming off January’s unanimous decision over countryman and three-time titleholder Anthony Mundine that avenged Mundine’s split-decision victory over Geale from May of 2009.

Before his return bout with Mundine, Geale dethroned then-WBA beltholder Felix Sturm by split-decision in September of last year, but was stripped of the belt for facing Mundine instead of current titleholder Gennady Golovkin.

“Fighting in the U.S. has been on my radar for the past year or two, and now, I get to fight in front of the great U.S. fans on the greatest boxing network in the United States against a truly worthy opponent,” said Geale, in a statement issued by promoter Gary Shaw.

“This is a great opportunity for me because I can show a new group of fight fans my talents and the fight will almost definitely produce the kind of fireworks that will have every fan clambering to have me back. I can gain a lot of credibility with this one fight. Barker is that kind of fighter.”

Barker (25-1, 16KOs) has scored consecutive fourth-round knockouts in his past two fights, the last, over Simone Rotolo in March, since being stopped in the 11th-round by RING champion Sergio Martinez in October of 2011.

“I’m extremely excited to be making my U.S. debut. I think it’s the next logical step for me right now,” said Geale. “I know how talented I am, and I know how great I can be, but sometimes, winning fights isn’t enough. You have to be prepared to go the extra mile.”

Also on the card is a co-feature to be shown on HBO as Colombia’s Jhonathan Romero (23-0, 12 KOs) defends his IBF junior featherweight belt against Spain’s Kiko Martinez (28-4, 20 KOs).

In addition, as part of a split-site triple-header to be televised by HBO,  WBO light heavyweight titleholder Nathan Cleverly (26-0, 12 KOs) will defend against hard-hitting Sergey Kovalev (21-0-1, 19 KOs) from the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, Walese. Kovalev is 9-0-1, with nine knockouts in his past 10 fights.

Also from the Revel Resort in A.C., Puerto Rican junior welterweight prospect Thomas Dulorme (18-1, 13 KOs) will pursue his third-straight victory and his second stoppage during that run against Francisco “El Gato” Figueroa (20-5-1, 13 KO’s), from The Bronx, New York.

Dulorme, whose bout will be televised on HBO Latino, suffered his lone defeat in October of last year as a welterweight, when he fell by seventh-round stoppage to slugger Luis Carlos Abregu.

Dulorme is promoted by Lou DiBella.

‘RELENTLESS’ JULIAN RAMIREZ RETURNS TO ABNER MARES CARD ON AUG. 24.

alt

Southpaw featherweight Julian Ramirez (8-0, 5 KOs), a 20-year-old “relentless action hero,” according to Golden Boy matchmaker, Eric Gomez, will return to the ring against an opponent to be determined on the undercard of the Showtime-televised main event featuring RING No. 5-rated pound-for-pound Abner Mares (26-0-1, 14 KOs) in defense of his WBC featherweight title against former beltholder Jhonny Gonzalez (54-8, 46 KOs) on Aug. 24 at The StubHub Center (formerly The Home Depot Center) in Carson, Calif.

Ramirez was last in the ring for a six-round unanimous decision over Aaron Olivares in March.

 

 

Photo by Scott Heavey, Getty Images

Photo courtesy of Team Ramirez

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web