Lem Satterfield

Trout calls Cotto-Rodriguez ‘a tossup’

Once-beaten junior middleweight contender Austin Trout is the last man to have defeated former junior middleweight title challenger Delvin Rodriguez and three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto, who are set to clash on Oct. 5 on HBO at the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla.

Trout can’t seem to pick a favorite.

A 33-year-old resident of Danbury, Conn., who is of Dominican descent, Rodriguez (28-6-3, 16 KOs) has won two straight by knockout since dropping a unanimous decision to Trout in June of 2012.

Cotto (37-4, 30 KOs), who turns 32 on Oct. 29, has lost by unanimous decision in his past two bouts against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Trout in May and December of last year, respectively. The Puerto Rican star’s last victory was in December of 2011, a 10th-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito.

“I would say that Rodriguez is awkward, but, I guess Cotto has had more success,” said Trout. “So it’s sort of a tossup to me. I’m tempted to go with Cotto, but Rodriguez has been on a streak.”

In his past two fights, Rodriguez knocked out previously unbeaten George Tahdooahnippah in the sixth round in February and Freddy Hernandez in the eighth in May. Hernandez had gone the distance in consecutive losses to contenders Erislandy Lara and Demetrius Andrade.

Rodriguez had fought to a draw and a unanimous decision, respectively, over Pawel Wolak in July and December of 2011 prior to facing Trout.

“It looks like Rodriguez has made some adjustments, so on the record, I’m going to just say that it’s a tossup,” said Trout.

“I feel like Cotto had more success in our fight, but I’ve seen the adjustments that Rodriguez has made since our fight, and he’s been on a good streak, so I’m going to stick with it being a tossup.”

Around the web