As part of what is already a monstrous fall for Golden Boy, the company’s CEO, Richard Schaefer., said that he plans to unveil “a big pay per event on Nov. 9.”
It begins with Friday’s Showtime card headlined by unbeaten heavyweight knockout artist Deontay Wilder against ex-beltholder Sergei Liakhovich.
On Aug. 24, a Showtime doubleheader will feature three-division titlewinner Abner Mares defending his WBC featherweight belt against its former owner, Jhonny Gonzalez, and Leo Santa Cruz challenging WBC junior featherweight titleholder Victor Terrazas.
On Sept. 6, Showtime will broadcast heavyweights Seth Mitchell and Chris Arreola as the main event to a show that will include former two-division champ Rafael Marquez ending an 11-month ring absence against Efrain Esquivias in a featherweight bout.
Showtime Pay Per View will then play host to a Sept. 14 clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Canelo Alvarez, whose co-main matches THE RING’s No. 1-rated junior welterweight, Lucas Matthysse with RING, WBA and WBC champion Danny Garcia.
Schaefer will also promote IBF light heavyweight titleholder Bernard Hopkins in the first defense of his belt against mandatory challenger Karo Murat on Oct. 26, as well as a Nov. 2 card that could match unbeaten welterweight contender Keith “One Time” Thurman and former titleholder Robert Guerrero.
“Basically, what I’m going to do is I’m going to be utilizing Oct. 26 and Nov. 2 — those two weekends — as buildups to our big Nov. 9 pay per view,” said Schaefer.
“And I can not yet disclose to you what the Nov. 9 pay-per-view will be. But I will be holding the date with the pay-per-view industry, and I will be holding the venue with the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.”
SCHAEFER CALLS ADRIEN BRONER-MARCOS MAIDANA HIS ‘DREAM FIGHT’
A “dream fight” for Schaefer would match mandatory challenger Marcos Maidana (33-3, 30 KOs) against newly-crowned WBA 147-pound beltholder Adrien Broner (27-0, 22 KOs), who is coming off June’s unanimous decision over Paulie Malignaggi for his current title.
“Broner-Maidana is another one of the Schaefer dream fights. More so as a fan,” said Schaefer. “I was able to get Mayweather and Alvarez done, and I was able to get Garcia-Matthysse done. So the next one would be Broner-Maidana.”
Maidana scored his third-straight stoppage victory with a sixth-round knockout against Josesito Lopez in June, having last suffered defeat in his 147-pound debut to Devon Alexander, the current IBF beltholder, in February of last year.
Maidana’s manager, Sebastian Contursi, said that he was ringside for Broner-Malignaggi, after which he spoke to Broner’s manager, Al Haymon, and Schaefer about a potential matchup.
Contursi also talked, specifically, with Haymon — perhaps the most powerful and influential man in boxing — about the prospect of becoming his newest client.
“Now, the question that I’m being asked, wherever I go is, ‘Are you going to be able to get Broner and Marcos Maidana done?,’” said Schaefer. “So, as it was the case with Garcia and Matthysse, these things take time, and I am working on it, and I do hope that I can get it done, because I am a fight fan, too, and I would love to see that fight.”
ARREOLA CONFIDENT OF BEATING MITCHELL: ‘LOOKS LIKE I’LL BE FIGHTING WILDER NEXT’
In response to Mitchell’s assertion that their fight could be “do or die” for both, Arreola expressed confidence that he would handle Mitchell, doing so on his Facebook page.
“1, 2, Seth I’m coming for you. 3, 4 your going to hit the floor,” Arreola wrote. “5, 6…. ah s–t who cares. I’m f–king him up.”
Later, Schaefer said that the winner of Wilder-Liakhovich could be matched against the winner between Arreola and Mitchell, to which Arreola stated, “Looks like I’ll be fighting Wilder next.”
GARCIA-MATTHYSSE PRESS TOUR
Schaefer informed ESPN.com that a press tour for Garcia-Matthysse will begin on Aug. 22 in New York and Philadelphia, followed by an appearance in Los Angeles on Aug. 23. The Los Angeles event will take place as part of the public weigh-in for the Mares-Gonzalez card.
GARCIA ON MATTHYSSE: ‘I CAN FIGHT BACKING UP. CAN HE?’
Angel Garcia, Danny Garcia’s father and trainer, said that Mattysse represents “the easiest fight of Danny’s career,” adding that his undfeated son will “destroy” the Argentine in “four or five rounds.”
Coming off a third-round stoppage of IBF 140-pound beltholder Lamont Peterson in May, during which he scored three knockdowns, Matthysse (34-2, 32 KOs) has countered that the father will have to rescue the son after he comes up with what would be his seventh consecutive stoppage win.
“To me Matthysse is just a regular fighter. He already has two losses,” said Garcia in a press release distributed by Golden Boy. “I don’t consider him one of the best. He doesn’t even have a world title and when he fought for one, he lost.”
Matthysse has a 4-2 record, with four knockouts, against six current or former titleholders, having floored all of them, including DeMarcus Corley, whom he dropped nine times on the way to an eighth-round stoppage in January of 2011.
Matthysse’s losses have come by disputed split decisions to left-handers Zab Judah and Alexander.
Garcia scored an eighth-round knockdown on the way to April’s unanimous decision over Judah, whom Matthysse dropped in the 10th round of a 12-round loss in November of 2010.
“Let’s see what happens when I show him different looks,” said Garcia. “Back him up, work angles. I can fight backing up. Can he?”
SCHAEFER: MARES-GONZALEZ OR SANTA CRUZ-TERRAZAS ARE ‘MUST-SEE TV’
Mares (26-0-1, 14 KOS) won his third divisional belt in May with a ninth-round stoppage of Daniel Ponce de Leon, who had become titleholder with an eight-round technical decision over Gonzalez last September, ending a winning streak by Gonzalez at 12 fights (which included 11 knockouts).
Gonzalez (54-8, 46 KOs) has since rebounded with consecutive wins over Eusebio Osejo and Akihiko Katagiri by unanimous decision and fourth-round knockout, respectively.
Santa Cruz (24-0-1, 14 KOs) debuted as a 122-pounder in his last fight by dropping former 115-pound beltholder Alexander Munoz twice en route to a fifth-round TKO. In April, Terrazas (37-2-1, 21 KOs) earned the belt vacated by Mares via a split-decision over Cristian Mijares.
“Mares and Santa Cruz are two of the most exciting fighters in the sport, irrespective of weight classes. They’re in great stylistic matchups as well, toe-to-toe fights. Either one of those fights could line itself up to be a Fight of The Year candidate. The StubHub Center in Carson, which is going to host the fight, is no stranger in hosting Fight of The Year candidates,” said Schaefer.
“We know that Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez was there, and we had a great tripleheader a month or so ago where we had the biggest audience and the biggest live gate and a sold-out venue there, and this one shapes up to become another sellout at The StubHub Center. Tickets are going fast. They really are. Like hot cakes, because fight fans know that those two fights are must-see TV.”
SCHAEFER UPDATES STATUS OF POTENTIAL AMIR KHAN-DEVON ALEXANDER CLASH
Schaefer informed BoxingScene.com that Dubai, the United Kingdom, and Barclays Center in Brooklyn are all among the considerations for a proposed Dec. 7 matchup between Alexander (25-1, 14 KOs) and former two-division titlewinner Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KOs), who is looking to make his 147-pound debut from the 140-pound division.
Khan would be looking for his third straight victory in as many fights under new trainer Virgil Hunter if he were to meet Alexander, a former IBF and WBC junior welterweight beltholder.
Schaefer also informed BoxingScene.com that a deal may be close for three-division titlewinner Shane Mosley (47-8-1, 39 KOs) to fight at 154 pounds against former three-time titleholder Anthony Mundine (44-5, 26 KOs) possibly in November.
UNBEATEN HEAVYWEIGHT JERRY ODOM SIGNS WITH GH3 PROMOTIONS
Vito Mielnicki’s GH3 Promotions has signed heavyweight Jerry “The King” Odom (4-0, 4 KOs), of Washington, D.C., to a promotional contract.
“I am very happy to sign with GH3,” said Odom, whose stoppage have all been in the first round. “I am looking forward to getting my career on the move. I am expecting the best to come.”
A participant in the 2012 Olympic trials, a 2012 Golden Gloves champion and a 2012 National PAL tournament runner-up, Odom, 20, has completed a semester of collage at Full Sail University in Winter Park, Fla., where he majored in Media Communications.
“I will continue to go to school,” said Odom, “So that after boxing, I have something to fall back on.”
Odom will debut under GH3 Promotions on Sept. 13 at the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark, N.J.
Photos by Naoki Fukuda
Photo by Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions
Photo by Al Bello, Getty Images
Lem Satterfield can be reached at email@example.com