Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suffered a cut over his right eye during sparring, which will force the postponement of his super middleweight clash with Brian Vera that was scheduled for Sept. 7 on HBO from Staples Center in Los Angeles.
On Monday, Chavez (46-1-1, 32 knockouts) posted a photo of the injury which appeared to be getting a stitched on his Twitter account, along with the message, “Just a couple stitches, but Doc says I’ll be ready to go back to Sparring in a few weeks.”
The injury will not only shelve his bout with Vera (23-6, 14 KOs), but also, those on the undercard, including a junior middleweight fight between Vanes Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21 KOs) and Demetrius Andrade (19-0, 13 KOs) for the WBO’s vacant belt.
Top Rank Vice President Carl Moretti confirmed reports about the cut and the status of the entire card during an interview with ESPN.com.
“He got cut above the eye, but I don’t even know which eye,” said Moretti, “except that they told me it was serious enough where we are going to have to push back the fight a few weeks. He can’t have contact for three weeks. So we will confer with HBO and try to figure out a date when we can reschedule the fight.”
Chavez was to have been out of the ring for nearly a year by Sept. 7. His last bout was unanimous decision loss to RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez last September.
Martirosyan, 27, is coming off a second-round knockout of Ryan Davis in June that followed a draw with Erislandy Lara in November of last year.
A 2008 U.S. Olympian, Andrade, 25, was last in the ring for a unanimous decision over Freddy Hernandez in January, after a streak of four consecutive stoppage victories.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org