Like father, unlike son.
Perhaps that is the lesson to be taken in the wake of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.’s withdrawal from a proposed super middleweight clash with Brian Vera that was scheduled for Sept. 7, as a result of a small cut over his right eye that was suffered during sparring.
On Monday, Chavez (46-1-1, 32 knockouts) posted a photo of the injury which was apparently being repaired by Dr. Jose Antonio Salazar, who was reported by Vivelohoy.com as saying that the fighter was pulling out of the bout to avoid a situation like the one that developed during Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.’s knockout loss to Oscar De La Hoya in 1996.
The elder Chavez had suffered a cut over his left eye in training, yet went ahead with the fight, during which the wound opened up early and bled profusely on the way to a fourth-round stoppage victory for De La Hoya.
Saying that he did not want the same thing to happen to Chavez Jr., Salazar said why give Vera “advantages?”
The injury not only shelved Chavez Jr.’s bout with Vera, but also those on the undercard, including a junior middleweight fight between Vanes Martirosyan and Demetrius Andrade for the WBO’s vacant belt.
Concerning a new date for the show, Top Rank President Carl Moretti said, “We’re working on that right now,” adding, “We’re waiting on HBO to give us a new date.”
Chavez was to have been out of the ring for nearly a year by Sept. 7. His last bout was unanimous decision loss to RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez last September.
Martirosyan, 27, is coming off a second-round knockout of Ryan Davis in June that followed a draw with Erislandy Lara in November of last year.
A 2008 U.S. Olympian, Andrade, 25, was last in the ring for a unanimous decision over Freddy Hernandez in January, after a streak of four consecutive stoppage victories.