Lem Satterfield

Chavez-Vera, Stevenson-Cloud, on Sept. 28

The super middleweight bout between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and rival Brian Verapostponed from Sept. 7 due to a cut ove Chavez’s right eye suffered during sparring — has been moved to Sept. 28 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., and will be televised by HBO, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum informed RingTV.com.

In addition, the bout between Chavez, who posted a photo of the injury which was apparently being repaired by Dr. Jose Antonio Salazar, and Vera will be part of a televised split-site doubleheader with a defense by RING and WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis “Superman” Stevenson against Tavoris Cloud from Bell Centre, in Montreal.

Stevenson’s promoter, Yvon Michel, also informed RingTV.com that he is considering a tuneup bout for former champ Jean Pascal (27-2-1, 16 KOs) on the undercard of Stevenson-Cloud. Jean is scheduled to fight Lucian Bute in January.

“I do not have confirmation yet,” said Michel. “There were several discussions, and I received a message from HBO that they wanted to talk to me this afternoon.”

Arum said that the junior middleweight clash between Vanes Martirosyan and Demetrius Andrade for the WBO’s vacant belt — originally scheduled for the Chavez-Vera card — will be part of a Nov. 9 tripleheader with a junior lightweight bout between RING featherweight champion Mikey Garcia and WBO beltholder Roman “Rocky” Martinez, and ex-beltholder Nonito Donaire in a likely rematch with Vic Darchynian.

Arum said that the tripleheader is being targeted for a venue in Texas.

In his last fight in April, Donaire was dethroned as RING 122-pound champion and WBO beltholder by Guillermo Rigondeaux, who also holds the WBA title.

Darchynian was the unbeaten IBF flyweight titleholder in July of 2007 when Donaire scored a fifth-round knockout against him. Darchinyan could meet Donaire in the return bout at either 126 pounds or at a catchweight, according to Arum.

Arum also said that he understood that HBO had been “working on” a split-site doubleheader for Oct. 5 featuring a defense by RING, IBF, WBA and WBC heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko against Alexander Povetkin from Moscow, and the return of three-division beltwinner Miguel Cotto in a junior middleweight bout with Delvin Rodriguez from the the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla.

Arum also said that the Cotto-Rodriguez card will include a lightweight bout between unbeaten Terence Crawford and John Molina.

“I think that they were working on [the Klitschko-Povetkin scenario,] but I don’t know if they accomplished it,” said Arum. “I know that Cotto and Rodriguez is going with Crawford and Molina. They may do a tripleheader that day.”

 

 

Photo by Richard Wolowicz, Gettyimages

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Around the web