LAS VEGAS — Four-division titlewinner Juan Manuel Marquez will pocket a guaranteed $6 million compared to $4.1 million for WBO welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley when they fight on Saturday at Thomas & Mack Center on HBO Pay Per View.
The figures were provided by Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Atletic Commission.
UKRAINIAN VASYL LOMACHENKO ON THE CARD
Ukrainian Vasyl Lomachenko, a winner of his second Olympic gold medal at the 2012 Games in London, has been mentioned by Top Rank CEO Bob Arum as an opponent for the winner of the Salido-Cruz bout should he win his 10-round professional debut against hard-hitting Mexican Jose Luis Ramirez on the Bradley-Marquez card.
Lomachenko will face Ramirez (25-3, 15 KOs), a 25-year-old winner of three straight bouts, on the undercard of a main event featuring Bradley against Marquez.
MIGUEL COTTO TO MEET WITH TOP RANK OFFICIALS THURSDAY
Three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto is expected to arrive in Las Vegas on Thursday to meet with Arum and Top Rank President Todd duBoef to discuss his future in the wake of last weekend’s third-round knockout of junior middleweight rival Delvin Rodriguez on HBO from the Amway Center in Orlando, Fla.
“He’s terrific and he’s back,” said Arum. “He’s coming here on Thursday, and we’ll sit and we’ll talk with him.”
According to Nielsen Media Research, Cotto-Rodriguez drew drew 1,555,000 viewers, surpassing the previous weekend’s 1,416,000 for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.’s controversial unanimous decision over Bryan Vera the top performing cable fight of 2013.
“Miguel is going to come in on Thursday, and we’ll decide, collectively, what we want to do. We’ll start to talk. I think this fight was an important fight for him both mentally and physically, right? Because I think him and [first-time Cotto trainer] Freddie Roach really connected,” said duBoef.
“All of a sudden, he looked 32 years young rather than 32 years old. That’s what everybody is saying, ‘How young he looked, and how fresh he looked.’ I think that there’s a bright future and he just re-established himself as one of the kings of the sport.”
Cotto (38-4, 31 knockouts), who turns 33 on Oct. 29, had lost his past two bouts by unanimous decision against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Austin Trout. Cotto’s last victory was in December of 2011, a 10th-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito.
A rematch with Mayweather has been mentioned for Cotto as have potential bouts against RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and Canelo Alvarez, who was dethroned as RING 154-pound champion by Mayweather via majority decision last month.
Potential hurdles are presented by proposed bouts against Mayweather and Alvarez, who work with or are promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and televised on Showtime and Showtime Pay Per View. If Cotto is working with Top Rank, it’s a given that he will continue to fight on HBO.
Martinez is handled by promoter Lou DiBella, who has a strong relationship with HBO.
Cotto’s legal advisor, Gaby Penagaricano, has said that Cotto is “a free agent” even as he has aligned with Top Rank for his fight with Rodriguez after having fought Trout and Mayweather under the banner of Golden Boy Promotions.
“At the end of the day, it’s a Miguel Cotto business model. He doesn’t have to chase anybody. We lay everything out on the table, and we say, ‘Where do want to go?’” said duBoef.
“We know the hurdles with some issues, and we know the easiness of another issue, and we all weigh it together as a team. It’s not about all of these problems. It’s which way do you want to go, and which road do you want to take?”
Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org