Lem Satterfield

Alvarez returns to MGM on March 8, but against Cotto?

When junior middleweight Canelo Alvarez returns to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on March 8, site of his first-career loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer hopes that the Mexican fighter will do so against three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto, whom Schaefer offered a deal worth in excess of $10 million earlier this month.

Alvarez, whom Mayweather dethroned as RING and WBC 154-pound champion, is scheduled to fight on March 8, July 26 and Nov. 22 of 2014. 

“You know, Canelo will be fighting on March 8 from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas,” said Schaefer, of a bout that will happen on Showtime Pay Per View. “So we’re waiting to see who the opponent is going to be. As I have said, obviously, the first choice would be Miguel Cotto.”

Cotto looked sharp and powerful stopping Delvin Rodriguez last month, and the Puerto Rican veteran wants a mega-fight next year. A Puerto Rican star vs. a Mexican star could do big business, which is why Cotto met with Schaefer, who “had a very good meeting” with Cotto on Nov. 6.

Cotto is “a free agent,” according to his legal advisor, Gaby Penagaricano, even as he aligned with rival Top Rank for his fight with Rodriguez. Cotto told Schaefer that he would be in Macau this week meeting with Top Rank CEO, Bob Arum, who is there promoting Manny Pacquiao’s welterweight fight with Brandon Rios on Saturday.

“I talked to Miguel Cotto last week, and they said that the would vbe meeting today, Wednesday or Thursday, with Top Rank. So I assumed that they were going to be in China. The bottom line is that they said that they were going to meet with Top Rank this week, and that they were going to let me know next week.”

Arum confirmed to RingTV.com’s Ryan Songalia that Cotto was, indeed, in China late Wednesday evening.
 
“Cotto is here,” said Arum, although he did not offer details. 

Although Cotto and Alvarez are each said to be considering bouts with RING/WBC 160-pound champ Sergio Martinez, an Alvarez-Cotto bout would be huge given that Alvarez’s majority decision loss to Mayweathero grossed a record $150 million, and Cotto is widely considered the most lucrative pay-per-view attraction in boxing behind Mayweather and Pacquiao.

“I talked to Miguel Cotto last week, and they said that the would be meeting today, Wednesday or Thursday, with Top Rank,” said Schaefer. “So I assumed that they were going to be in China. The bottom line is that they said that they were going to meet with Top Rank this week, and that they were going to let me know next week.”

Cotto had lost consecutive unanimous decisions to Mayweather and Austin Trout in May and December of last year in bouts promoted by Golden Boy before scoring a third-round knockout of Rodriguez.

Prior to facing Mayweather, Alvarez unanimously decisioned the previously unbeaten Trout in April, drawing nearly 40,000 to The Alamodome in San Antonio.

Schaefer has listed other options for Cotto, including a rematch with Mayweather, a shot at IBF 154-pound titleholder Carlos Molina or perhaps a rise into the 160-pound division for a bout against unbeaten WBO beltholder Peter Quillin. There is also the winner of a Dec. 7 bout between Trout and fellow left-hander Erislandy Lara, Schaefer said.

Hard-hitting Alfredo Angulo or Victor Ortiz might also be a consideration.

 

 

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com.

Around the web

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>