Tim Smith

Shane Mosley retires: “It’s a young man’s game”

After one of the most illustrious careers in the modern era of boxing, Shane Mosley is calling it quits. This time he said it’s for good.

“It’s a young man’s game. It’s time to step aside and let some of these young guys do their thing,” Mosley said in the press room at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the Paulie Malignaggi-Zab Judah welterweight fight on Saturday night.

Mosley, 42, is coming off a disappointing sixth round TKO loss to Anthony Mudine in Sydney, Australia on Nov. 26. Mosley injured his back during the fight and couldn’t move around the ring. It was the first time that he had been stopped in his 20-year professional career.

Mosley, who won world championships as a lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight, finishes his career with a record of 47-9-1 and 39 knockouts. His resume of opponents during his career reads like a Who’s Who of modern boxing. Besides his two victories against future Hall of Famer Oscar De La Hoya – the two signature matches of his career – Mosley was in the ring against Miguel Cotto, Winky Wright, Fernando Vargas, Antonio Margarito, Manny Pacquiao, Canelo Alvarez and Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

He stunned Mayweather with a big right hand in the second round of their match, before he experienced shoulder and back problems. Mayweather went on to win a convincing victory over Mosley in the match.

Mosley said that he will remain active in boxing, but not inside the ring.

“I’m going to stay around the sport and work as a trainer,” he said. “I’m training my son (Shane, Jr.) and a couple of other young fighters.”

Mosley announced his retirement once before, calling it quits in June of 2012. But he came back to fight Pablo Cano in Cancun, Mexico, winning a 12-round unanimous decision this past May 18. But the fight against Mudine convinced him that he should call it quits for good.

“It’s time to go. I’m retired,” Mosley said.

 

 

Photo / Mark Mettcalf-Getty Images

Around the web