Harry Pratt

David Price, Anthony Joshua withdraw from respective bouts

The proposed comeback of English heavyweight David Price has been put on hold by a dose of flu.

The virus picked up in training camp has forced 31-year-old Price (15-2, 13 KOs) to postpone an eight-round bout against Russian journeyman Evengy Orlov, scheduled for this Saturday in Neubrandenberg, Germany,

“It is unfortunate but these things happen and one has to act responsibly,” said Price’s new promoter Kalle Sauerland. “This is a minor setback and has no effect on our plans for Pricey. He will be back in the ring at the beginning of the New Year.”

Price, a one-time prospect who many believed could develop into a champion, has not fought since crushing back-to-back defeats to American Tony Thompson earlier this year, which forced him to rethink his career and link up with Hayemaker trainer Adam Booth.

“Obviously, I am disappointed,” said the Liverpool man. “I was looking forward to my first fight back but I wouldn’t be doing myself or my fans justice by taking the fight when I am anything less than 100 per cent.”
 
Meanwhile, another of the English heavyweights, 23-year-old Anthony Joshua (3-0, 3 KOs) has withdrawn from his next professional outing because of a shoulder injury

The 2012 Olympic gold medallist was slated to face Welshman Dorian Darch this Saturday at the ExCel Arena, London. The two will now meet on Feb 1, 2013.

Around the web