SAN ANTONIO — Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said on Thursday that former RING junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez may not be at Saturday night’s Adrien “The Problem” Broner– Marcos Maidana headlined card at The Alamodome, where his 32-year-old brother, junior welterweight Ricardo “Dinamita” Alvarez, will make his American debut. The former junior middleweight champ may attend the funeral of camp member and former titleholder Javier “Chatito” Jauregui.
A former Golden Boy fighter who earned the IBF’s lightweight title with an 11th-round stoppage of Levander Johnson in November of 2003, Jauregui, 40, had a stroke on Tuesday and died the next day. Like Canelo Alvarez, Jauregui was guided by manager Jose “Chepo” Reynoso.
“Canelo is still in Guadalejara because of the unfortunate death of Javier Jauregui, who was one of the first champions for Golden Boy and who was a terrific fighter. A terrific young man, and I’m very sad for his family,” said Schaefer. “He was very close to Canelo, and had been with Canelo for a long time. Chepo Reynoso was almost like a second father to him,” said Schaefer.
“Canelo just called us and told us that he is not sure that he is going to be able to make it. He is paying for the funeral for Javier Jauregui, and he obviously wants to be there when his friend is getting buried. He doesn’t know when exactly the funeral is, but if it is going to be on Saturday, then he’s going to be by his friend’s side.”
Ricardo Alvarez (27-4, 20 knockouts) pursue his 14th victory in his past 15 bouts and his 11h stoppage during that streak against Rod Salka (18-2, 3 KOs) .
“I am going to find out more on whether or not Canelo is coming from [Golden Boy matchmaker] Eric Gomez,” said Schaefer. “But if he does come, then he’s going to be coming tomorrow.”
Prior to losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. by unanimous decision in September, Canelo Alvarez, 23, unanimously decisioned the previously unbeaten Austin Trout in April, drawing nearly 40,000 to The Alamodome.
Canelo Alvarez (42-1-1, 30KOs) is slated to compete on March 8, July 26 and Nov. 22 of 2014 Schaefer mentioned as potential opponents, three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto (38-4, 31 KOs), IBF beltholder Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6 KOs), southpaw Erislandy Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) and Sergey Rabchenko (25-0, 18 KOs) of Belarus.
Cotto has been offered $10 million by Schaefer, but is also said to be considering a bout with RING middleweight chapion Sergio Martinez.
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org