Three-division titlewinner Abner Mares has apologized to his fans in the wake of a rib injury suffered late last month, which has forced the postponement of his Feb. 15 rematch with Jhonny Gonzalez, as well as the entire card.
Mares (26-1-1, 14 knockouts) lost his WBC featherweight title after suffering a shocking first-round knockout loss to Gonzalez (55-8, 47 KOs) in August, but was injured while training in Mexico City.
"I'd like to apologize to all of my fans, Golden Boy Promotions and Jhonny Gonzalez," said Mares, whose new date will be announced after he is cleared to resume training.
"I was looking forward to getting back into the ring with Jhonny to avenge my loss, and once I recover from this injury, I'll be back in the gym and ready for this rematch as soon as possible."
"It's never a good thing when injuries like this occur, and I know Abner tried to fight through it," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.
"But it's best that we postpone this event and reschedule it so that both fighters are at their best on fight night. The fighters' safety is always paramount and both Abner and Jhonny understand this completely."
Managed by Frank Espinoza, Mares was THE RING's No. 5-rated pound-for-pound fighter entering the bout with Gonzalez. He was floored twice by the Mexican veteran during the first defense of the belt he won in his 126-pound debut, a ninth-round knockout of Daniel Ponce de Leon.
Ponce de Leon was the last man to defeat Gonzalez in an eighth-round technical decision in September of 2012, ending Gonzalez's 12-fight winning streak which included 11 knockouts.
"I'm disappointed of course, but I know that these things happen in boxing, and I wish Abner a speedy recovery," said Gonzalez. "We both know that we'll meet again, and when we do, we'll give the fans a fight to remember."
A prepared release stated that refunds for Gonzalez-Mares II may be obtained at the point of the original purchase.
Photo by Naoki Fukuda