Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. told guests at a dinner at Emperors Palace in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Friday that his last professional fight will be in September of 2015, according to the Associated Press.
Recalling his first fight in 1987, Mayweather said, "September 2015 will be my last," according to the AP.
Mayweather's assertion would satisfy the exclusive six-fight venture he signed with Showtime and its parent company, CBS Corporation, estimated to be worth a guaranteed $250 million according to an online report by Forbes’ Magazine.
The highest-paid athlete in American sports over the course of 2012 and 2013, Mayweather was last in the ring in September, when his majority decision dethroned Canel Alvarez for the RING and WBC 154-pound championships.
Representing the third bout in his deal with Showtime, Mayweather's triumph over Alvarez became the highest-grossing boxing event of all time with $150 million in revenue reported, eclipsing the $136 million earned by Mayweather’s 2007 victory over Oscar De La Hoya.
Khan (28-3, 19 KOs) stated publicly late last month that he has signed his contract to face Mayweather, who also mentioned during a Wednesday press in Johannesburg that Marcos Maidana could be a consideration.
In May of this year, Mayweather unanimously decisioned Robert Guerrero in defense of the WBC 147-pound title he had earned by dethroning Victor Ortiz via fourth-round stoppage in September of 2011, cementing his status as RING welterweight champion as well.
Mayweather is also the WBA's reigning 154-pound titleholder, having earned that belt by unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto in May of 2012.