The heavy-handed Nicaraguan Gonzalez (37-0, 31 knockouts) has vacated his WBA junior flyweight title earlier this week as he gets ready to (formally) campaign as a full-fledged 112-pound contender.
Gonzalez, 26, has fought four of his last five fights above the flyweight limit, with his last foray at 108 being his defense against current WBO/WBA flyweight titleholder Juan Francisco Estrada in November of 2012.
Gonzalez's manager Silvio Conrado tells RingTV.com that Gonzalez will return to action on Feb. 15 on a card in either Nicaragua or on a Zanfer Promotions-organized card in Mexico. While they await solidification on Gonzalez's next opponent, Conrado awaits the sanctioning body rankings to plot his next course.
"The WBO put him in the number two spot, the WBC and WBA should put them both in the #1 spot if they do what they said they would do in our conversations with them," said Conrado, who adds that he expects the IBF to rank them in either the fourth or fifth slot.
"From there it would be time to make a decision to become the mandatory in one of the four main organizations."
"Everything depends on a few talks that we will have with managers of the champs in the next days," said Conrado.