Lem Satterfield

Tim Bradley discusses VADA testing, Manny Pacquiao

WBO welterweight titleholder Timothy Bradley will be using The Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) for the third straight fight when he meets Manny Pacquiao on April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where Bradley won the belt from Pacquiao by split-decision in June of 2012.

In his last two fights, Bradley (31-0, 12 knockouts) rose from a 12th-round knockdown to secure a unanimous decision over Ruslan Provodnikov in March of last year before earning a split-decision over Juan Manuel Marquez in October.

Pacquiao (54-5-2, 38 KOs), who turned 35 in December, rebounded from the setback against Bradley and a knockout loss to Marquez by easily outpointing Brandon Rios in November in Macau, China.

Pacquiao and Rios were also randomly drug-tested by VADA, resulting in Rios' failed his post-fight drug test and his suspension for five months from the day of the fight by the China Professional Boxing Organization.

"I had it for the Provodnikov fight and the Marquez fight. I'm just trying to continue to do my do diligence as far as my career, and as far as cleaning up the sport," said Bradley. "I'm going to have the drug testing in this fight as well. We both have agreed to VADA. Like I said, we've both agreed to all of the terms and that's part of the terms, the VADA testing."

After seven fights with manager Cameron Dunkin, Bradley will be moving on without him. Bradley and his wife of nearly four years, Monica, negotiated the terms for a fight, including a contract extension, with Top President Todd duBoef.

"My wife is a very smart woman, and she's been very important through these negotiations. She's now looking after my career and over my career. It's a beautiful thing," said Bradley, 30, a father of four.

"We're a great, great team. I'm blessed to have a great wife and a great family and also a great promoter. This was for my family, and Top Rank is definitely looking after me. I feel that I won't get this type of deal that I have anywhere else."

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said Pacquiao will earn a guaranteed $20 million, down from the $26 he earned when he lost a controversial decision to Bradley in 2012. Bradley will receive $6 million, $1 million less than in their first meeting.

"I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stay in the game. But for right now, we do have an extension clause in the contract. I'm taking it day-by-day," said Bradley. "They gave me everything I asked for. I'm not going to get this kind of a deal anywhere else. I'm satisfied and ready to move forward with my career and to fight Manny Pacquiao again." 

Meanwhile, Pacquiao, is determined to regain what he lost.

Press conferences to promote the fight are scheduled for Feb. 4 and 6 in Los Angeles and New York, respectively.

Around the web

Comments are closed.