"The fight is do-able, and I'm sure that it will be made, or, least I think that it will be made. HBO wants it, and it all depends on if HBO puts up the money," said Arum. "If it happens, it's going to be at The Forum in Los Angeles on May 17. We've booked The Forum for a show, and we can't wait to be the first fight in The Forum. But it's not finalized yet."
Gamboa and his promoter Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson were ringside at Madison Square Garden last month when Garcia (34-0, 28 knockouts) unanimously decisioned Juan Carlos Burgos in the first defense of his WBO junior lightweight title.
Prior to facing Burgos, Garcia, 26, had scored an eighth-round knockout of Roman “Rocky” Martinez on Nov. 9 that earned him the WBO belt and represented his 10th stoppage victory over the course of his previous 11 fights.
The Martinez win represented the second major title in a second weight class for Garcia, who earned THE RING and WBO featherweight championships last January by beating Orlando Salido.
Garcia dropped Salido four times en route to an eight-round technical decision, and followed up that victory up with a fourth-round knockout of Juan Manuel Lopez in June.
Less than a week after vanquishing Martinez, Garcia expressed his desire to rise into the 135-pound weight class for a bout with Gamboa during a November interview with RingTV.com.
"I just think that if Gamboa is ready to fight, and that if we can get a fight together, then I’m ready to take on any fighter. As a champion, you should be ready to defend the title. We haven’t discussed any weight, but I wouldn’t care, really," said Garcia, in part.
"To me, Gamboa is the same fighter at 126, 130 or 135. So it doesn’t really matter what weight you’re talking for that fight. If we can get it to where the weight is not the issue, then we could move forward and just get the fight on."
Prior to facing Perez, Gamboa, 32, rose from a ninth-round knockdown after scoring one each in the second and seventh to secure a unanimous decision over Michael Farenas on the undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez’s sixth-round knockout of Manny Pacquiao in December of 2012.
GILBERTO RAMIREZ SANCHEZ STOPS DON MOUTON IN THE FIRST ROUND
Mexican super middleweight Gilberto Ramirez Sanchez (27-0, 21 KOs) scored a 91-second knockout Saturday night over Don Mouton (12-8-1, 10 KOs), who was stopped for the first time in his career and was coming off a unanimous decision loss to Anthony Dirrell in May of last year.
In other bouts on the Top Rank show, which took place at The Engergy Center in Laredo, Texas, 2012 U.S. Olympian and Mexican-American Jose Ramirez (8-0, 6 KOs) stopped Javier Perez (8-7, 5 KOs) in the first round of their junior welterweight matchup, and lightweight Roberto Marroquin (23-3-1, 16 KOs) and Alejandro Rodriguez (18-13-1, 11 KOs) battled to an eight-round draw.
Also on the card was a welterweight matchup in which Alex Saucedo (12-0, 9 KOs) came up with a first-round stoppage of Franciso Reza (12-10, 9 KOs). In addition, featherweight Jerren Cochran (10-0, 4 KOs) earned a six-round decision over Sergio Gomez (17-19, 13 KOs).
BLAKE CAPARELLO, LUIS ROSA, DUSTY HERNANDEZ-HARRISON ALL REMAIN UNBEATEN
Light heavyweight contender Blake Caparello (19-0-1, 6 KOs), junior featherweight Luis Rosa (16-0, 7 KOs) and welterweight Dusty Hernandez-Harrison (20-0, 11 KOs) all remained undefeated with unanimous decisions Friday night at The Richad J. Codey Arena in West Orange, N.J.
Caparrello out-boxed ex-beltholder Elvir Muriqi (40-6, 24 KOs), Rosa scored knockdowns in the third and fourth rounds against Jorge Diaz. (17-3, 10 KOs), and Hernandez-Harrison easily handled Philadelphia's Tim Witherspoon Jr. (10-4-1, 2 KOs) in bouts that were televised on ESPN2.