Lem Satterfield

Carlos Molina still jailed, Jermall Charlo fight ‘in jeopardy’

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer is close to pulling the trigger on a decision to substitute the Carlos Molina-Jermall Charlo IBF 154-pound title bout with the Ricardo Alvarez-Sergio Thompson fight on Saturday's Showtime Pay Per View show since Molina has not been released from the Clark County Detention Center in time for today's weigh-in.

Schaefer spoke to RingTV.com at 10:10 p.m. PT, and the weigh-in is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m. PT today.

"There's a lot of issues that Carlos Molina and his team are going to be dealing with, so I really don't see that he is going to be out on time to make weight and to be at the weigh-in in a few hours," said Schaefer.

"So as a result, I believe that it's pretty close to the point where the Molina fight will be off, and that Canelo's brother, Ricardo Alvarez, will be moved up to the pay per view portion of the card, fighting Yeyo Thompson."

Molina's promoter, Leon Margules, of Warriors' Boxing told RingTV.com on Friday morning that the fighter still was being held at the detention center.

According to a detention center spokesperson, Molina is being held on a federal immigration hold in addition to being wanted in Wisconsin for obstruction and failing to register as a sex offender.

Margules said that Molina, 30, appeared before a Las Vegas judge on Thursday and tried, unsuccessfully, to post a $10,000 bail. Las Vegas police Officer Laura Meltzer told The Associated Press that Molina's release was denied after it was learned that he was also sought by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Later, on Thursday, Margules said that the hold appeared to have been temporarily lifted, only to be re-instated.

"I was told that he was getting out… Apparently, there is a new hold, and we're still working on it, so the fight's still in jeopardy," said Margules. "Either he's going to get out before the weigh-in, or they're going to have to cancel the fight. We don't know what else to do."

Molina had remained incarcerated as Schaefer addressed media members during Thursday's press conference at the MGM Grand, where the Golden Boy promoter declared his intention to substitute the Ricardo Alvarez-Sergio Thompson fight for Molina-Charlo if necessary.

Molina's scheduled IBF junior middleweight defense against Charlo was scheduled for the undercard of a 154-pound bout between Canelo Alvarez and Alfredo Angulo.

The lightweight bout between Thompson and Ricardo Alvarez was not initially part of the televised portion of a card that also features WBC 122-pound beltholder Leo Santa Cruz in a defense against Cristian Mijares, and Jorge Linares against Nihito Arakawa in a lightweight fight.

 "As I said at the press conference yesterday, from a pure entertainment point of view, I think that it's actually an upgrade to the card…but I feel bad for Jermall Charlo," said Schaefer.

"Jermal Charlo is exciting and he is ready and he's been training hard and working toward this world title, so this is a very big let down for him and I feel really bad for him. But as they say, the show must go on, and we will have Ricardo Alvarez in with Yeyo Thompson on the pay per view telecast."

Molina is wanted by the Sheriff’s department in Outagamie, Wisc., on the sex charges, which have been pending since January 2007, and the Appleton Police Department on a misdemeanor disorderly conduct warrant that had been pending since 2005, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Update: Margules informed RingTV.com that Molina will not be released in time to fight: "The fight's off. He's not getting out," said Margules at 11:42 a.m. PT.

 

Around the web