Lem Satterfield

Vanes Martirosyan on May 10 Bermane Stiverne-Chris Arreola card

alt

Vanes Martirosyan poses with a poster showing his November 2012 opponent, Erislandy Lara. Photo by Chris Farina/Top Rank.

Junior middleweight contender Vanes Martirosyan will return to the ring against an opponent to be determined on the May 10 undercard the Bermane Stiverne-Chris Arreola rematch in Los Angeles, promoter Dan Goossen announced on Monday.

A 27-year-old 2004 Olympian from Glendale, Calif., Martirosyan (34-1-1, 21 knockouts) is coming off last month's unanimous decision over Mario Alberto Lozano, which followed a split-decision loss to 2008 Olympian Demetrius Andrade in a failed bid to earn the WBO’s vacant belt last November.

"Vanes made it very clear upon signing he wanted to stay busy and grow his fan base here in California. The added benefit is his desire to work in the gym under his new trainer, Joe Goossen," said Dan Goossen (Joe and Dan Goossen are brothers).

"The combination of learning new things with Joe, and staying busy, will allow Vanes to better utilize improved skills in real action. Couple that with his immense fan support in Southern California, particularly in the Armenian community, it can only enhance Vanes' popularity toward his world championship march."

Martirosyan also fought to a draw with THE RING's No. 2-rated junior middleweight, Erislandy Lara, in November 2012, and has unanimously decisioned former titleholder Kassim Ouma and previously unbeaten Joe Green, both in 2010.

"My last fight was the first time I felt like a pro," said Martirosyan, It's amazing even to me. I said being with Joe for only three weeks, he had me understanding the need to work harder and developing some of my other offensive weapons."

Martirosyan represented the U.S. as a welterweight alongside gold medalist Andre Ward and bronze medalist Andre Dirrell, but lost to Cuban Lorenzo Aragon, who would go on to defeat South Korean welterweight Kim Jung-Joo for a silver medal.

"It's important now, at only 27 years of age, that we prepare Vanes to the fullest of his potential," said Joe Goossen, "and not allow another opportunity for the world championship to fall through his grip. Activity in the gym and the ring can only help us."

 

BRUNO ESCALANTE'S OUT WITH A BROKEN HAND

After seeing a specialist, x-rays revealed that junior bantamweight Bruno Escalante (13-1-1, 6 KOs) was fighting with two broken bones in his left hand during Saturday's unanimous-decision victory over Victor Ruiz (12-3, 9 KOs).

"This is just a minor setback," said Escalante, in a prepared statement. "I'm going to do everything the doctor says to make the healing process faster. I'll continue working out, mostly on my jab since that is the only arm I can use at the moment."

Escalante's injury is believed to have happened in the second round and could sideline him for three months.

"The doctor said Bruno can make a quick recovery if he lets his hand heal properly. He could return after a few months of rehab," said manager Herb Stone. "Bruno proved to me he has tremendous heart carrying on with a broken hand. I'm hoping he can fight by the end of the summer. I have big plans for Bruno when he returns to the ring."

Around the web