IBF welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter said he doesn't "like" unbeaten Kell Brook of England "because I don't know him and I don't think that he deserves to fight me."
Porter (24-0-1, 15 knockouts) learned on Monday, nevertheless, that he and promoter Golden Boy have until July to make his second defense against Brook (32-0, 22 KOs), IBF President Daryl Peoples informed RingTV.com.
"The letter went out this morning. Porter needs to begin negotiations with Brook," said Peoples. "That's three months from now, so we're looking at July."
Golden Boy and Matchroom Sport, which handles Brook, have until May 21 to reach a deal, if not, a purse bid will be ordered, said Peoples.
"I'm excited to be able to get back into the ring in July. That's a blessing," said Porter, 26. "I just don't think that he's deserving of a mandatory fight. But we can fight and make money again as soon as we want to."
Peoples said that Porter Golden Boy, were granted an exception to make this past Saturday's clash with ex-titleholder Paulie Malignaggi, whom Porter had cut and bloodied beneath the left eye with the first jabe that he landed, and whom Porter dropped twice in the final round of a fourth-round knockout at The D.C. Armory in Washington, D.C.
"As far as fighting Kell Brook. I don't care. I don't like him because I don't know him," said Porter. "I don't think that he deserves to be fighting me, having never fought anyone big in the states or fought anyone of the caliber that I have fought."
RingTV.com has obtained the congratulatory letter to Golden Boy and Matchroom Sport.
"The IBF granted Golden Boy Promotions an exception of regulations for the Porter versus Malignaggi fight. One of the conditions of the exception is that the winner must fight the leading available contender within 90 days," read the letter, in part.
"The leading available contender is No. 1 Kell Brook. Brook is represented by Matchroom Sport…Negotiations should commence immediately and be concluded by May 21 2014. In the event that you are unable to come to an amicable agreement with Brook, the IBF will call for a purse bid."
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer informed RingTV.com in an e-mail on Monday that he planned to discuss Brook with Porter's advisor, Al Haymon.
The 27-year-old Brook has won four straight by knockout, and was last in the ring for last month's eighth-round stoppage of Alvaro Robles that had followed one in October in the fourth round over ex-beltholder Vyacheslav Senchenko, whom Brook floored twice.
Prior to Malignaggi, Porter was coming off a unanimous-decision win over Devon Alexander, during which he dictated a physical fight that left both fighters bleeding from cuts around their eyes in December.
Porter's victory ended Alexander’s winning streak at four consecutive bouts since falling to Tim Bradley, who was dethroned as WBO 147-pound beltholder on April 12 by Manny Pacquiao after having won the belt from Pacquiao by split-decision in June 2012.
A former Manny Pacquiao sparring partner, Porter began his career with a 165-pound fight who has fought as a junior middleweight a few times.
"We came out of the ring against Paulie with no cuts, scars or bruises, so I'll probably go into the ring against Kell Brook and be even more vicious than I ever have. I'll be somewhat more vicious than I was against Paulie," said Porter.
"Because I watched the fight, too, and I said, 'Man, I was really vicious in this fight.' So Kell Brook does not have a walk in the park for this fight, at the least. If he feels that he's full of confidence and that he can beat me, then he's definitely got another thing coming."
A former junior middleweight managed and trained by his father, Kenny, Porter’s victory over Alexander was preceded by last September’s unanimous decision over ex-beltholder Diaz, with whom Porter had battled to a draw in December 2012.
"Paulie was like a cat burglar who just broke into somebody's house, and he was creeping across the floor, and he said, 'Oh, s–t,' there's a dog.' You don't want the floor to creek and wake the dog up, you know?" said Kenny Porter.
"But the problem, the owner of the house is always awake. I ain't never sleep, so I'm going to sick the dog on your ass anyway, and that's what I did in that fight. You don't have to do anything to stir Shawn up. I sicked him on him. That's what I do."
The Porters will vacation in the Bahamas this coming weekend before returning for the May 3 defense by RING and WBC 147-pound champion Floyd Mayweather against WBA counterpart Marcos Maidana at the MGM in Las Vegas, where the Porters live.
Kenny Porter said that he would like to land on the undercard of a planned fight between junior middleweights Canelo Alvarez and Erislandy Lara that is slated for Showtime Pay Per View on July 12 at the MGM Grand.